Chocolate Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting – vegan cakes with a rich delicious caramel frosting. These are perfect for a celebration!
I baked cupcakes for a friend’s birthday. Cupcakes are fun, and everyone seems to like them, even people who don’t really like cake. Something about cupcakes makes you feel like a kid again. Maybe it’s the size; they fit right in the palm of your hand. And, they’re devoured in a couple bites.
I made the chocolate cake from the cookbook that I’m writing. I really like this cake. It’s moist and easy to mix together. And, it’s made from things that are usually found in my cupboard. Click here for the cake recipe. And, shhhh, the cake is vegan! But you don’t have to tell anyone!
I decided to make a frosting that had a little grown up appeal, but still sweet enough to be fun. So, I decided on this caramel frosting recipe. You can decorate the cupcakes with chopped nuts or sprinkles, as desired.
My friend loved the cupcakes. And, it was a fun treat for the day.
This cake can be baked in all kinds of different shapes too!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting
- Melt the butter in a heavy 2 or 3-quart saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the brown sugar and stir almost constantly with a wooden spoon. After 2 to 3 minutes, the sugar will melt and smooth out, and the mixture will begin to bubble (it’s alright if it still looks separated at this point). Stir constantly for up to 2 minutes (less if it smells like it’s burning).
- Add the ¼ cup cream and stir constantly for 2 minutes. The mixture will thicken slightly and turn smooth and glossy.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla with the wooden spoon. If the frosting seems too dry, add additional cream, ½ tablespoon at a time, until it’s thick, smooth, and spreadable.
For printing: find the vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe here: https://lifecurrentsblog.com/chocolate-cake-cupboard-cooking-cookbook-update/
Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In large mixing bowl combine all ingredients. Beat with electric mixer on medium to high speed until well combined. Pour batter in a greased bundt pan, or cupcake liners (filling cupcakes about ¾ of the way full).
- Bake 30 minutes for the cake or 20-25 minutes for the cupcakes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream, or dust with powdered sugar.