I wanted to use the leftover cashew solids from making my cashew milk. So, I thought what better use than to make a Chocolate Zucchini Cashew Quick Bread. The cashew solids are optional, but they do make the bread really nice and moist and add some great nutrition.
I knew my mom had an old zucchini quick bread recipe, so after a little tweaking, this quick bread is what I came up with. I made it last night and the house smelled so good while it was baking. Dessert wafting through. Mmm.
The husband came home and I asked him if he wanted a slice of quick bread. He said that he thought it was a big brownie. Well, he’s right, it’s basically a big brownie. Lighter than I usually make my brownies, more cakey. But, just a big brownie.
So, I asked him again but reworded it… “do you want a slice of brownie?” “Of course.” After he took a couple bites, I got the big thumbs up, the “this-tastes-great” approval. Only then did I tell him it had zucchini in it. He never noticed. And, even after I told him, he didn’t care about the zucchini; he ate his slice of brownie! Yippie! I consider that a huge win.
I suggest doing this cake all by hand – just using a fork to mix the ingredients. Sure, you could use a hand mixer to blend the ingredients, but I really didn’t want to clean anything additional. And, sometimes I think we need to get away from all those appliances, and use the tools that we were born with – our hands!
So, if you want a little decadent dessert, but still want to be a bit healthy, give this a try. Nice, moist, chocolaty (all that cocoa powder does a great job), and you get some veggies along with it!
This would also be great with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top
Chocolate Zucchini Cashew Quick Bread Recipe
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CASHEW QUICK BREAD
- 1 ½ cups shredded zucchini about 1/2 pound or one 10-inch zucchini
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder not Dutch-processed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup grapeseed or safflower oil
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup cashew solids optional
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Place the rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Grate the zucchini, using a box grater or a food processor with the grater plate. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour through ground cinnamon). Set aside.
- Cream together the oil and sugars using a sturdy fork. Once well combined, add the eggs, and vanilla, and mix until well blended. Fold in the grated zucchini and cashew solids.
- Add the flour mixture, stirring with the fork just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and bake until the bread has risen and a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 to 55 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!