Herbed Potatoes from the grill and Veggies – nice simple summer fare
I’ve been so busy lately- WHEW!
Not much to give you as far as a new recipe this week, but I’ll share one of my favorite ways to cook potatoes. This one is nice and summery- great to serve at a BBQ. And, with Memorial Day coming up, this might be a great one to try.
One of my favorites lunches- seasonal fruits and veggies. This time I used lightly sautéed green beans, brown mushrooms, white peaches, avocados, and roasted corn with a bit of salt. Farmer’s Market Salad.
Some shots of veggies in my garden, as well. Veggies have been occupying much of my cooking this week… maybe because it’s getting warmer, maybe because the veggies at the market look so good right now. There are lots of Farmer’s Markets out there too- stop by & see what’s in season.
Herbed Potatoes (I cooked these indoors on the stove on a grill pan). Use whatever herbs you have on hand- this time I used parsley, chives, and rosemary
Some of the parsley has begun to flower (also called bolting). I used some parsley from the garden on the herbed potatoes
The beets look great. I love the dark red stems.
Flowers on top of the onions. Once the stems turn brown, the onions are ripe. Until then, I snip off the green stalks/leaves to use as chives or green onions
Lemon Verbena in my garden
Herbed Potatoes from the grill and Veggies Recipe
- 2 pounds Yukon Golds or other yellow-fleshed potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped herbs such as parsley chives, rosemary
- 1-2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices or in half if they are small potatoes. Cook potatoes in a large pot of salted boiling water about 10-15 minutes. The potatoes will not be cooked completely through at this point. The remainder of the cooking will be done on the grill.
- Meanwhile, stir together herbs, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper in a large shallow dish. Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-high heat. Or, heat grill pan over medium-high heat for indoor cooking.
- Drain potatoes and transfer to herb oil, tossing gently to coat.
- Place potatoes on grill or in preheated grill pan on stove. Grill potatoes, covered, turning once or twice, until tender, about 5-10 minutes total. Season with additional salt to taste (I like Fleur de Sel at this point as a finishing salt).
My grocery store sells small Yukon Gold potatoes in two pound bags- they are perfect for making this dish. I cut the potatoes in half & then we get little bite sized morsels of herbed potatoes.