Tomato Lentil Soup is a perfectly comforting and cozy vegan soup that’s full of healthy good for you ingredients. It’s easy to make, and will help keep you warm and happy all winter long!
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask.
I love lentils. I think that lentil soup was one of the first soups that I ate when I first became vegetarian.
Lentils are so hearty, and so good for you. They are full of flavor.
Not only are they delicious, they’re low-fat, high-protein, high-fiber, nutritious, and ridiculously easy to cook.
I think they are just amazing.
This soup is filled with flavor! From the earthy lentils to the rich flavorful tomatoes, throw in some spices and herbs, and you have yourself a wonderful bowl of hearty good for you Tomato Lentil Soup!
I made this soup as a way to have the traditional tomato soup that everyone loves so much in the winter, but with some added protein and fiber from the lentils.
I guess it was a way to make it more of a hearty main dish soup.
Of course, you could still serve it with a nice grilled cheese sandwich! You might want to try my famous Three Cheese Pesto Avocado Grilled Cheese along with this soup!
Want to see more of my love affair with lentils?
Let’s keep in touch
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right, or with push notifications using the red bell.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much, much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Tomato Lentil Soup Recipe
Tomato Lentil Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup brown lentils picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and carrot, and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin, thyme, and garlic powder. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the canned tomatoes, lentils, broth, water, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to the pot, and stir to combine.
- Increase the heat, and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
- Carefully pour 2 cups of soup to the bowl of a blender, and puree until smooth. Pour the blended soup back into the pot, and stir to combine. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper as desired. Garnish with fresh thyme, if desired.