Now that the weather is cooler, I can turn to soup. Soup is so nice. Comforting. Tasty. Vegan Corn Chowder with Roasted Poblanos.
This was a great tasting vegan soup that’s also gluten-free. So many soups have a gluten based thickener. This one’s thickness comes from the pureed onion and corn. Tasty and healthy! This is also nice because the onions and poblanos are roasted in the oven, leaving you lots of time to work on other things.
Poblanos are a fresh large green chile that are sometimes called pasillas. They look a lot like a sweet green pepper. Poblanos have a mild spiciness to them, and roasting them brings out their sweetness.
You could make this soup a little heartier by adding green onion, potatoes, and sautéed tofu chunks. And, of course, I’d love it topped with avocado slices.
Vegan Corn Chowder with Roasted Poblanos Recipe
Corn Chowder with Roasted Poblanos
- 1 large sweet onion peeled and quartered
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 2 large poblano chiles
- 1 16-ounce package frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped cilantro to garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place quartered onion and garlic clove on a large sheet of foil. Drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt. Bring corners of foil up over onion to make a packet. Place foil packet on a baking sheet or large cast iron skillet, and place chiles next to foil packet on the baking sheet. Roast onion packet and chiles for 15 minutes, or until chiles look soft and are starting to char. Using a pair of tongs, flip chiles over, and return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes, or until they are uniformly softened and charred. Remove chiles from oven, place on a plate, and set aside to cool. Return onion packet to the oven to continue to roast another 30-40 minutes (about an hour total). Onion will look slightly golden and very soft when done.
- Peel cooled chiles under running tap water. Remove stems and seeds from chiles, and chop into small pieces, about ¼ to ½-inch. Set aside.
- Once onion and garlic have finished roasting, place onion, garlic, and any juices that have accumulated in the foil in the bowl of a blender. Add half of the thawed corn, and 1 cup of broth to the blender. Puree until smooth.
- Pour pureed corn mixture into a medium pan, and heat over medium-high heat. Add remaining corn, 1 cup broth, and chopped poblanos, and simmer until heated through. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Ladle chowder into bowls, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.