Vegan Main Dishes
I was talking with my friend Michaela at An Affair from the Heart the other day, and she said that one of her readers wanted more vegan dishes, and that she didn’t have any to share. Well, I thought I’d gather up all my Vegan Main Dishes and put them into one easy place so she could share some ideas with her.
What is Vegan?
First off, lets start with a little definition. Wikipedia states that veganism is, “the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products, particularly in diet.” I think most people understand the basics of the vegan diet, but it’s the specifics that confuse them (and I am going to focus on the diet here and not about any other part of lifestyle).
In my experience, a vegan is a person who doesn’t eat anything that came from an animal, whether that animal lived or not.
So, honey, because it comes from a bee, is not generally in a vegan’s diet. The same for milk, cheese, or eggs those wouldn’t be in a vegan’s diet.
A vegetarian might eat these things, but not a vegan. So, that’s my simple little definition.
Some people might have a little more to add, but that a good basic start to the definition. Need more info on how to make vegan swaps? I’ve got some simple substitutions here.
Then, I thought that I’d expand it to include lots of different vegan dishes from lots of bloggers. These bloggers aren’t all just vegan bloggers either. They blog about lots of different kinds of foods.
One of the things I like about this group of vegan main dishes from all kinds of bloggers is that it shows how easy vegan eating can be. You may not always even know it when you’re eating vegan.
I mean, a simple spaghetti with marinara sauce can be a great vegan dish. And, if you’re trying to eat more healthy stuff after the holidays, veggies are a great place to start. Try doing Meatless Mondays, or just try some new dishes.
When I asked my friends for their vegan main dish ideas I never thought I’d get so many great recipes.
And, I’m really excited to share my very first Buzzfeed collection with some of these awesome dishes!
Vegan Main Dishes:
So, here they are…
1. Caramelised Butternut Squash and Quinoa Burritos from Amuse Your Bouche
2. Cajun Stuffed Spaghetti Squash from Healthy Delicious
4. Tofu Stuffed Peppers from Jar of Honey
5. Stacked Veggie and Smoky Black Bean Enchiladas from Life Currents
D. White Bean – Potato Tacos from Life Currents
Quinoa Stuffed Portobello Mushroom (leave the cheese off or use vegan cheese) from Wine Lady Cooks
Sandwiches and Patties
3. Sprouted Lentil Sloppy Joes (replace the honey with maple syrup or simple syrup) from Raia’s Recipes
Awesome Wrap from Life Currents
Low Fat Cauliflower and Cabbage Rosti from Rules of Dieting
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and Caramelized Onion Sandwich from Life Currents
Pasta, Gnocchi, and Rice
6. Rice Noodle + Veggie Bowl from One Beet Wellness
7. Green Tea Gnocchi with Orange Butter Sauce
8. Quick and Easy Paella from Life Currents
9. Simple Lemon Pasta with Walnuts from The Organic Kitchen
10. Corn & Chive Risotto from LeMoine Family Kitchen
E. Spaghetti With Mushrooms In Lemon & White Wine Sauce (replace butter with vegan butter or oil) from Wine Lady Cooks
Avocado-Miso-Tahini Pasta from Life Currents
Vegetarian Gnocchi with Peruvian Seco Sauce from Life Currents
Simple Vegetable Sauce Spaghetti from Mamal Diane
Homemade Spaghettios from Life Currents
Chow Mein Noodles from Life Currents
Gnocchi Primavera (leave the cheese off or use vegan cheese) from Wine Lady Cooks
Pasta with Mint Pea Sauce (leave the Parmesan off or use vegan cheese) from The Organic Kitchen
Spaghetti Pomodoro (leave the cheese off or use vegan cheese) from Simply Sated
Easy One Pot Pasta from Moore or Less Cooking
Soups, Stews, Chilis, One Pot Meals
11. Crockpot Veggie ‘n Quinoa Stew from Meal Planning Maven
12. Quick Veggie Stir Fry from Jar of Honey
13. Vegetarian Chili from The Foodie Affair
14. Smoky Black Bean Chili Soup from Life Currents
15. Spicy Veggie Quinoa Curry from Dizzy Busy and Hungry
16. Sweet & Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash with Prunes from One Beet Wellness
F. Broccoli and Pea Potage with Thyme (soup) from Life Currents
G. Lebanese Lentil Soup with Lemon and Noodles from A Dish of Daily Life
H. Vegetarian Cassoulet from Real Food Real Deals
I. Kale & Cannellini Bean Soup (leave the cheese off the croutons) from LeMoine Family Kitchen
J. Chipotle Black Beans (replace chicken stock with veggie broth or water) from Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch
Lentils with Winter Vegetables from Life Currents
Sausage, Broccoli, and Roasted Lentils from Life Currents
Aubergine and Lentils Bake from Rules of Dieting (an Aubergine is also called an eggplant)
Weeknight Italian Tomato Soup from Life Currents
Vegetarian Moroccan Roasted Root Vegetables over Quinoa from Au Naturale Nutrition
Slow Cooker Red Lentil Curry from Dizzy Busy and Hungry
17. Asian Salad from Feed Your Soul Too
18. Easy Mediterranean Tabbouleh from Moore or Less Cooking
19. Walnut, Peach, Cauliflower, Chipotle, Avocado Chopped from the Kitchen Chopper (which is down now)
20. Spicy Lentil and Sweet Potato Salad from Life Currents
21. Zucchini Tagliatelle from Noshing with the Nolands
Fattoush Salad from 196 Flavors
Refreshing Spinach & Grape Salad (replace the honey with maple syrup or simple syrup) from LoveFoodies
Anti-inflammatory Kale Salad from Life Currents
C. Farmer’s Market Salad from Life Currents
Wild Rice Salad from Life Currents
Tofu Satay with Peanut Sauce from Life Currents
A. Fresh Veggie Pizza from Jar of Honey
B. Orange-Shallot Tofu with Avocado Served on a Bed of Roasted Lentils from Life Currents