Mom’s Strawberry Shortcake is perfect for summer with fresh berries topping sweet whipped cream and warm buttermilk biscuits!
I always looked forward to summer when my mom would make her Strawberry Shortcakes. They are so perfect for summer. Easy to make, fresh and loaded with strawberries. Delicious. And topped with that fresh whipped cream – just decadent and Yum!
Mom used to make the biscuits with that boxed mix. Since I don’t use that anymore, this Mom’s Strawberry Shortcake is a little updated version of her recipe. But, I tried to stick as close as possible to her original. Grab my Fresh Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe here.
Mom used to cut the biscuit in half and smear a bit of butter across the cut part. Wow that was good! You can do that part too if you wish!
While you bake the biscuits the strawberries are macerating in the fridge. That’s just a fancy way of saying that they are turning into a nice syrup and softening. Oh, and if you have a family member who doesn’t care for strawberries (like my husband), you can do this recipe with raspberries or blueberries instead. They are just as good!
The definite key to Mom’s Strawberry Shortcake is the fresh whipped cream. Soft billowy layers of sweetened whipped cream. Ohhhhhh… It just tastes better than the squirty stuff from the store. So, make sure you take a little extra time to do that special touch. I promise you’ll be happy with it. And, it really doesn’t take that long.
If you like what you see, please click the yum button: Yum
Mom’s Strawberry Shortcake
- 16 ounces strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- Fresh Buttermilk Biscuits cut in half (recipe here https://lifecurrentsblog.com/fresh-buttermilk-biscuits/ )
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Place strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a glass bowl, stir to combine. Mash strawberries a bit with a fork. Cover, and place in fridge.
Make Buttermilk Biscuits
- according to recipe directions https://lifecurrentsblog.com/fresh-buttermilk-biscuits/. Once biscuits are done baking, carefully remove from the oven, and allow to cool a bit.
Make Whipped Cream
- Place heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar in a large bowl. Whip with a hand mixer or stand mixer until soft peaks form.
Assemble Strawberry Shortcakes
- Cut a biscuit in half, top with a spoonful of whipped cream, a couple of large spoonfuls of berries and the juice that's formed. Top with the other half of the biscuit.