While I was on vacation we went to a wonderful little cafe called Whidbey Pies, Cafe & Catering. I had the Tuna and Havarti melt on toasted Banshee Bakery bread. That’s the same sandwich I always order when we go there! I love their cafe, so cute and the food is fresh and tasty. I’m always impressed. And, this is my favorite sandwich there. I can’t get enough of it. I always mean to try something new, but once I’m there, I have to order that tasty sandwich. Although I’ll never exactly match theirs, here’s my version — The Island Trollers Albacore Tuna Melt Sandwich.
So, I thought I’d combine the taste of the Whidbey Cafe tuna melt with the Island Trollers tuna. Here’s my version of that tasty sandwich treat using Island Trollers Albacore with Capers.
And, I must say, this version comes pretty close, with the only major exception being their rustic bread that I can’t seem to find here at home. When making this type of sandwich, make sure you have a hearty bread, one that will toast up nicely. The toasting time in the pan will depend largely on your bread, so be sure to watch it as it cooks. You could also toast this in a Panini press if you have one.
Island Trollers Caper Albacore Tuna and Havarti Melt on Toasted Sourdough
- 1 can Island Trollers Caper Tuna undrained
- 1/4 cup red onions finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil mayonnaise or sour cream
- 1 slice Havarti cheese
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- spray olive oil
- In a medium bowl, combine undrained tuna, chopped red onion, parsley, and mayo, flaking tuna as needed with a fork.
- Spread tuna over one slice of sourdough bread (you probably won't be able to get all the tuna on the sandwich, that's ok, you can snack on the leftover tuna as you toast the sandwich). Top the tuna with sliced Havarti, and the last slice of bread.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-low heat. Once hot, spray the pan with olive oil, and place tuna sandwich in the pan. Allow the sandwich to toast and grill marks to develop, approximately 5-10 minutes of cooking. Spray top of sandwich with olive oil, and gently flip sandwich to allow grill marks to develop on the other side. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes until both sides are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from pan and slice in half for serving. Enjoy immediately. Yummm.