Tuna, Egg, and Cheese Crepes
I’ve partnered with Island Trollers to bring these healthy & delicious Tuna, Egg, and Cheese Crepes to you, but as always, all opinions are all my own #ad
Recently I made Brie Butter Sauce Crepes, and when I did, my husband got a little nostalgic. He’s been to France (unlike me), and when he was there he had the most amazing Tuna, Egg, and Cheese Crepes.
Those crepes came from a little sidewalk stand where all the locals had lined up to get breakfast. He figured, if there was a line of locals, that was the place he wanted to eat. And besides being great food, the food was less expensive than at the tourist attractions. He loved those Tuna, Egg, and Cheese Crepes so much that he remembers them to this day.
We set about making our own Tuna, Egg, and Cheese Crepes version. These are super delicious and great easy comfort food. Of course, I can say that they are easy because he makes the crepes. In fact, he made this entire recipe. I just got to stand around and watch. And, eat them! Yum!
Delicious, Island Trollers tuna, mixed with lovely scrambled eggs, and creamy cheese. Island Trollers is “sashimi grade albacore in a can, the finest you will find anywhere in the world!” All this homey goodness wrapped inside a simple crepe. Perfection right there. These are great for a light lunch, breakfast, brunch, or a simple family dinner. I highly recommend Island Trollers’ Alder Smoked for these crepes. I love the smokey flavor here.
And remember, if you’re making this recipe with Island Trollers Albacore Tuna, you don’t want to drain off those tasty juices from the can; they’re the juices from the fish itself, not just plain ol’ water or oil. Those juices are loaded with Omega 3s. So, it might feel a little weird not to drain the tuna, but don’t do it.
As for the cheese, I just say to use your favorite kind of shredded cheese. I love a mixture. Try mozzarella, cheddar, and provolone (I’m on a big provolone kick right now). Pepperjack is great in these to add a little kick. But, really, just use your favorite (or the one that you have in the fridge today!).
Tuna, Egg, and Cheese Crepes Recipe
Tuna, Egg, and Cheese Crepes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese, your choice of kind
- 1 can (7.5 ounce) Island Trollers Tuna, undrained
- prepared crepes (recipe below)
- Sour cream or crème fraiche for garnish, if desired
- Place the tuna in a medium bowl, and break up any large chunks. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Pour egg mixture into hot pan, and sprinkle cheese over the top. As eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan with a spatula, forming large soft curds. When eggs are almost all set, push them over to the side of the pan. Add the tuna to the pan. Cook for about 30 seconds, and gently fold eggs and tuna together. Cook until tuna is hot and eggs are set.
- Place ¼ of the tuna egg mixture down the center of each crepe, and roll up crepe. Garnish with sour cream or crème fraiche if desired.
Basic Crepe Recipe
- Put the flour and salt in a bowl and make a well in the center of the flour. Pour the egg and some of the milk into the well. Whisk the egg and milk, gradually incorporating the flour to make a smooth paste. Whisk in the remaining milk, then pour the batter into a cup with a pour spout. Batter may be set aside at this point to rest if needed.
- Place a little butter or oil in a crepe pan or heavy bottomed skillet and heat until the butter begins to smoke. Pour off any excess fat, and pour a little batter into the pan, tilting the pan to coat the bottom with a thin layer of the batter. Cook 1-2 minutes until the underside of the crepe begins to turn golden brown.
- Flip the crepe with a spatula, and cook 30-45 seconds more, or until the second side is golden brown as well. Slide the crepe out of the pan. Continue cooking crepes in this manner, greasing the pan as necessary, until all batter is used.