This Cajun Shrimp with Rice is a great weeknight meal. It comes together quickly, is really tasty, and is nice and healthy. Also,you’ll find a great recipe for a homemade Cajun Spice Blend.
It’s even nice enough to serve to guests. I think I’ll serve this at the next family dinner we have at my house. It easily doubles (or quadruples). I’ll serve it with extra plain rice on the side for the moms who don’t care for too much spice. (Mix the plain into the Cajun spiced rice, and you’ll get a milder dish.)
Part of what makes this dish so quick is the precooked rice. When I make rice, I like to make a big batch. It keeps well for leftovers. I love to have some with veggies for lunch. And, it makes a super simple and pretty healthy little sweet dessert with a sprinkle of sugar and a small pat of butter. So, there’s often a bit of rice in the fridge. I also make the batch of rice with half brown rice and half white rice. The husband doesn’t mind it that way, but if I serve all brown rice, he notices!
You can make up this Cajun spice mix, or use a bottle of Cajun spices if you already have one in your cupboard. Just be sure to taste the dish for salt, as the amount of salt will vary based on your spice mix. If you mix up this recipe, there’ll be more mix than you need for this recipe, but it’s got great flavor, so use it as a steak rub or a flavoring for mashed potatoes, or anything else you want a little Cajun kick in.
Cajun Shrimp with Rice Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini chopped in ½-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, recipe below
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 10 precooked shelled deveined tail on Jumbo shrimp defrosted pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add chopped zucchini and sauté until lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add butter to skillet, and let it melt. Add green onions and garlic, and continue to cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in Cajun seasonings.
- Stir in cooked rice, parsley, and shrimp. Cover and cook until thoroughly heated, about 3-5 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!
Cajun Spice Mix
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ¾ teaspoon dried ground thyme
- Mix spices together, and set aside. Store in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.