This Cajun Shrimp with Rice is a great weeknight meal. It comes together quickly, is really tasty, and is nice and healthy. Also,you’ll find a great recipe for a homemade Cajun Spice Blend.
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask. The comments can be easily found using the orange circle on the lower left, then Join the discussion!
Impressive and easy to make
It’s even nice enough to serve to guests.
I think I’ll serve this at the next family dinner we have at my house.
It easily doubles (or quadruples). I’ll serve it with extra plain rice on the side for the moms who don’t care for too much spice. (Mix the plain into the Cajun spiced rice, and you’ll get a milder dish.)
Part of what makes this dish so quick is the precooked rice. When I make rice, I like to make a big batch. It keeps well for leftovers. I love to have some with veggies for lunch. And, it makes a super simple and pretty healthy little sweet dessert with a sprinkle of sugar and a small pat of butter.
So, there’s often a bit of rice in the fridge. I also make the batch of rice with half brown rice and half white rice. The husband doesn’t mind it that way, but if I serve all brown rice, he notices!
You can make up this Cajun spice mix, or use a bottle of Cajun spices if you already have one in your cupboard. Just be sure to taste the dish for salt, as the amount of salt will vary based on your spice mix.
If you mix up this recipe, there’ll be more mix than you need for this recipe, but it’s got great flavor, so use it as a steak rub or a flavoring for mashed potatoes, or anything else you want a little Cajun kick in.
Let’s keep in touch
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Cajun Shrimp with Rice Recipe
Cajun Shrimp with Rice
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ¾ teaspoon dried ground thyme
Shrimp and rice:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini chopped in ½-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 pound cooked jumbo shrimp 25-21 per pound
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
Mix spices together
- Mix all spice blend ingredients together, and set aside. Store in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.2 teaspoons paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ¾ teaspoon black pepper, ¾ teaspoon onion powder, ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ¾ teaspoon dried oregano leaves, ¾ teaspoon dried ground thyme
Shrimp and rice:
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add chopped zucchini and sauté until lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add butter to skillet, and let it melt. Add green onions and garlic, and continue to cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in 2 teaspoons of the Cajun seasonings.1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 medium zucchini chopped in ½-inch chunks, 1 tablespoon butter, 4 green onions chopped, 2 garlic cloves finely chopped, 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- Stir in cooked rice, parsley, and shrimp. Cover and cook until thoroughly heated, about 3-5 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!2 cups cooked rice, 1/2 pound cooked jumbo shrimp, 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.