Summer is the perfect time for a no-cook salad made with Island Trollers Albacore. (Well, anytime is the perfect time for their tuna!) so, I created this Island Trollers Summer Salad with Fresh Corn Cakes!
The essence of summer! Fresh, yummy, light. The corn cakes (which can be served hot or at room temperature) are really nice with this because they help soak up all the tasty juices.
Don’t drain the Island Trollers Tuna
You’ll notice that I recommend not draining this tuna. That’s because of the way they cook it. It’s only cooked once. And, you can tell the difference when you open the can. It looks just like a fresh whole piece of fish. I choose the garlic Albacore with this, but any of their tuna flavors would be awesome. I’ll try this with the jalapeno Albacore as well.
I love Island Trollers
If you’d like to read about how I got hooked (no pun intended) on Island Trollers, please read my Tuna Chowder post. It’s seriously the best tuna I’ve ever had.
Island Trollers Summer Salad with Garlic Albacore, avocado, tomatoes, and red onion all served on top of Fresh Corn Cakes is perfect for the hot summer months. Nice and light and flavorful, and it’s super healthy!
Island Trollers Summer Salad with Fresh Corn Cakes
There are two separate recipe cards for this recipe. One with the Corn Cakes, and one with the summer salad of tuna, tomatoes, and avocado. Make sure to print both.
Fresh summer corn cakes. Top them with My Tuna salad for a great main dish!
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels from about two ears of corn or thawed if frozen
- vegetable oil or grapeseed oil for frying
In a medium bowl, whisk egg and milk together. Stir in cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder, and fold in green onions and corn.
- Set a large non-stick frying pan or a large griddle over medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon oil. Scoop ¼-cup portions of batter into pan. Cook, turning once, until puffed and golden brown, about 6 minutes total. As the cooked cakes come off the griddle, set them on a cooking rack. Repeat process with remaining batter, adding more oil as necessary to the pan.
Makes about 10 cakes
Summer Salad with Tuna, Tomatoes, and Avocado
Island Trollers Summer Main dish! With Fresh Corn Cakes topped with summer salad of Albacore tuna, tomatoes, and avocado. Great summer dining!
- 1 can Island Trollers Albacore tuna with garlic undrained
- ¼ cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 summer tomato cut into wedges
- ½ avocado sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Place tuna in a medium bowl, and break apart any large chunks with a fork.
- Place the onion slices in a colander and rinse with cold water*. Add the onion, tomato, and avocado to the bowl with the tuna.
- In a separate small bowl, mix olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Pour dressing over salad, and mix gently.
- *Rinsing the onion will remove its stinging bite and mellow the taste, making the onion sweeter. It will also help to make your eyes not water as the sulfates that irritate your eyes get rinsed away.
- To Serve: place two corn cakes on a plate, and scoop some summer salad on top. Garnish with chopped green onion, cilantro, or sour cream, if desired. Enjoy!
Other Great recipes you’ll LOVE!