The Monster Cheese Burger is a deliciously enticing burger that’s perfect for the summer fun! It’s loaded with caramelized onions, homemade pepper jack cheese sauce (that’s super easy to make), fresh arugula, and a crunchy Parmesan cheese crisp, all on a butter-toasted bun.
Serve your burger with some homemade quick ketchup, sweet pickle relish, and Spicy Garlic Pickles for an amazing dinner!
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask. The comments can be easily found using the orange circle on the lower left, then Join the discussion!
Welcome to burger month! Where a bunch of burger-minded bloggers have gotten together to share some amazing and yummy burgers, just for the love of them!
See, May is National Burger Month #NationalBurgerMonth
Use your favorite burger patty:
In these weird times where I’m never sure what I’ll find at the store (though it is getting much better), I decided that I wanted this burger to be really flexible so you’re able to use whatever you can.
So I don’t suggest any particular hamburger patties. Use or make your favorite!
Of course, I like vegetarian patties.
I love the ease of making them in the microwave on a busy night.
Sometimes I’ll make myself a veggie patty and my husband will grill a beef patty.
Well, this burger is perfect with either of those instances!
Here are some of my favorites hamburger patties:
Homemade vegetarian black bean patties: These are my favorite! And they can easily be made ahead and frozen for later use.
Want to just simply buy some at the store. My favorite vegetarian ones are the Morningstar spicy black bean patties.
Looking for some tips on how to make a great hamburger patty? Savory Experiments has you covered with 10 Tips for a better burger.
Want to try this burger with a healthy chicken patty? Take a look at this delicious Chipotle Chicken Burger.
Try making a juicy turkey burger as a light option as well.
Here’s a great sounding burger that’s made with beef and pork: the Jack Daniels Burger.
And a simple beef patty made into a Red White & Blue Cheese Burger. Or a spiced sirloin patty.
Burgers & fries
See those fries in the pictures? They are so good! We simply cut some potatoes into wedge shapes and cooked them in the air fryer.
Find the directions for Air Fryer Potatoes here.
How to make the burger
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, & much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tried it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Monster Cheese Burger
Butter toasted buns:
- Butter softened
- Hamburger buns
- ½ tablespoon light tasting oil of your choice
- 1 sweet yellow onion thinly sliced
- pinch salt
Pepper jack cheese sauce:
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese grated on large holes of a box grater
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup evaporated milk from 12 ounce can
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese per burger
- Burger patties cooked with your preferred method (grilled, microwaved, skillet heated)
- Spread softened butter on the insides of the hamburger buns, and place buns butter side down in a hot skillet over medium heat. Cook until bun is golden and toasted. Remove buns from the pan.
- Place oil in a medium pan, and heat over medium heat. Once hot, add sliced onions, and stir. Place lid on pan, and cook for 5 minutes to allow the liquid to be released from the onion. Remove lid, and add a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring regularly, adding a little bit of water if the onions start to burn, for 15-20 minutes, or until nicely golden and soft. Remove from heat, and set aside.
Make pepper jack cheese sauce:
- Place shredded cheese and cornstarch in a large bowl, and toss to combine.
- Transfer coated cheese to a medium saucepan, and add evaporated milk.
- Cook cheese and milk over low heat, stirring constantly until melted, bubbly, and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Mixture may look thin and grainy at first but will thicken and come together after heating. If desired, thin the cheese sauce with additional evaporated milk. There will be more cheese sauce than you need for a couple of burgers.
Make Parmesan cheese crisps:
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using the small holes of a box grater, grate the Parmesan cheese.
- With a tablespoon-measuring spoon, scoop 4 tablespoons of the grated Parmesan onto the prepared baking sheet. Leave at least ½-inch between each pile. Lightly press the mounds out until they are flat and approximately the size of the hamburger buns. Make as many crisps as burgers that you’re having.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes. Remove from oven when edges just turn golden brown. Let cool completely on the baking sheet.
Assemble the burgers:
- Place the bottom of the butter-toasted bun on the plate. Place the cooked patty on top of the bun. Spread the caramelized onions over the top of the patty. Drizzle the cheese sauce over the top of the onions. Add a handful of fresh arugula leaves to the top. Place the Parmesan cheese crisp on top of the arugula, and top with the butter-toasted bun.
- Enjoy. Don’t forget the napkins!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.
Join my mailing list to receive the latest recipes FREE to your inbox!
These are EPIC!! I love that addition of the parmesan crisp to the burger!! I know what’s for dinner, THANKS!!
I love it. It’s delicious. Thanks for the summer fun.