Crock Pot Carne Asada style slow cooker beef recipe is an easy to make Mexican food main dish that’s perfect for Taco Tuesday, nachos, fajitas, street tacos, chili, burritos, or any other fun dinners!
It’s a simple and delicious way to make a weeknight meal into a taco bar party.
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask. The comments can be easily found using the orange circle on the lower left, then Join the discussion!
This tender delicious beef recipe reminds me of a taco truck recipe, and it fits nicely into a budget, because you can use inexpensive stew meat.
Everything you love about carne asada but easier, because it’s made in a crock pot! It may not be 100% authentic, but you’ll love how easy it is, and how delicious it is.
Perfect for taco bar parties. This is one of my favorite dishes to serve while watching the game.
October is Tailgating Snacks Month
Welcome to October is Tailgating Snacks Month 2016! The 3rd annual! With an awesome recipe for Slow Cooker Carne Asada.
Wow! Some of my favorite recipes have come from this month! Want to check them all out? I have links lower in this post! I’ve very excited to start this month off with a BANG!
It’s so easy to make too! If you can’t get out to the grill (maybe it’s too hot outside or maybe it snows where you live), you can still have great Mexican Carne Asada from the crock pot or slow cooker!
This Slow Cooker Carne Asada is super easy to make and was a HUGE hit in my house. We made it into tacos, sandwiches, served it on a taco bar (a hint for something I’ll be sharing later in the month), made it into tostadas, you get the idea!
Want to check out my tips and tricks for How to Host a Taco Bar Party, click here.
And this crockpot dish smells Ahhhh-MaZe-ing as it cooks!
Our new Crock Pot Carne Asada recipe is based on our Carne Asada Marinade.
The short story of that marinade is that we were looking to be able to make our own carne asada at home, and this marinade was suggested by a friend.
It’s so delicious, so we wondered how it would come out if the beef cooked in the marinade in the crock pot.
Well, this crock pot version is fabulous! Dan loved it! It makes great tacos, sandwiches, and lots of leftovers. Perfect for parties.
Is this recipe authentic?
No, I realize that this crock pot version isn’t authentic. But, like I said, it was based off the marinade that’s super delicious, and we do cook that version on the grill.
“Carne Asada” translates as “grilled meat”. And, clearly this crock pot version isn’t grilled.
But, like I said, we wanted to see how it would work in the slow cooker, and it’s great. Please understand that the recipe is simply another way to cook this delicious food.
Options for serving:
- in tacos for Taco Tuesday or any day
- on top of rice for a bowl
- on nachos
- in a burrito
- in chili
- as fajitas
- in a sandwich
- as a slider
- in a tostada
I wanted you to be able to see what I meant in the recipe by “The beef should be mostly submerged in the cooking liquid”. You can see some of the beef chunks, but they are mostly covered. Here the liquid is starting to boil and smell divine!
Crock Pot Carne Asada after cooking. We just shredded this by pressing on it with a spoon, and it’s so tender that it falls apart on its own.
Hungry for more?
Be sure to watch our video on how to make this dish
Crock Pot Carne Asada Recipe
Crock Pot Carne Asada
- 3 pounds stew beef cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 4 scallions finely chopped
- Juice of 1 Meyer lemon or 2 limes
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Working in batches so as not to crowd the pan, brown the cubes of beef in a large skillet, cooking until well browned on all sides, about 10-20 minutes per batch. Remove beef from pan once it is browned and place it in the crock pot.
- Add 1/3 cup water to the pan, and deglaze the pan, scraping the browned bits up from the bottom of the pan. Pour the deglazing water into the crock pot.
- In a medium bowl, mix all remaining ingredients with a whisk until thoroughly combined, and pour over the beef. The beef should be mostly submerged in the cooking liquid, if it isn’t add a little more water to the pot.
- Turn crock-pot on high, and cook, covered, for about 4 hours or until beef is easily shredded.
- Serve Carne Asada in tacos, burritos, nachos, sandwiches, anywhere you want tasty Mexican food.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.