Broccoli Week continues with a fabulous recipe for Caramelized Broccoli!
Caramelized Broccoli is basically a variation of my Grilled Garlicky Broccoli, because sometimes you just can’t get outside to grill. And, basically, the technique is just the opposite of the grilled version, where in the grilled broccoli recipe you steam and then brown the broccoli, in this recipe you brown and then steam it. Simple enough!
Even if you have picky eaters at home who say they don’t like broccoli, this recipe for Caramelized Broccoli will get them to change their minds!
Bring out the sweetness of broccoli
Caramelizing broccoli brings out the sweetness of the green veggie. And, I like this version with the pinch of red pepper, but you can leave it off if you don’t like a hint of heat to your food.
Check out all my recipes on Pinterest!
Be sure to follow me there!
Caramelized Broccoli Recipe
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head of broccoli leaves peeled and halved lengthwise
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon garlic
- pinch crushed red pepper
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Once hot, add the broccoli, cut side down, and cover. Cook over medium-high heat until nice and brown on the bottom, about 8 minutes. Add the water, cover and cook until broccoli is tender and the water has evaporated, about 7 minutes.
- Drizzle the remaining oil over the broccoli, and sprinkle with the garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Cook uncovered, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as desired.