Easy Restaurant Style Salsa
Just 5 ingredients makes this easy to make salsa my go-to salsa of choice. And, it’s fresher tasting than the store-bought jarred stuff.
I haven’t been able to grow any tomatoes in my garden, or any veggies for that matter, because of the lawn removal project (which by the way has slowed down dramatically because it’s been so dang hot and humid here, but we hope to get back to it soon). So, since I haven’t been able to grow any tomatoes of my own, and the ones at the store just aren’t really worthy of making into salsa, I’ve actually been buying salsa lately.
Fortunately for me we’ve found an awesome one. It comes from the produce section of my grocery store, and it’s really good! The sign says that it’s made right there at the store.
I was reading the ingredient label the other day, and there were only 5 main ingredients, plus some preservatives. One of the things that struck me when reading the label was that the tomatoes they use are canned (they have the same list of ingredients as a can of tomatoes).
Well, you know what that means; I set out on a mission to recreate it myself.
5 simple ingredients
With just 5 simple ingredients, I hoped it wouldn’t be too hard. After a few tries I think I’ve gotten pretty close. And, when my husband took the bowl of salsa out of the fridge and started eating it saying how delicious it was, well I knew I had to share it with you. Thus, Easy Restaurant Style Salsa was created.
Mild, medium, or hot
Use 1 jalapeno if you like a mild salsa, and 2 if you prefer a spicier salsa. I might make it with 3 jalapenos for my brother (he likes it really spicy!).
Adjust as needed
I think the salsa is nice and thick, perfect for tacos and breakfast burritos. But, if you are dipping chips into it, you may want it to be a little thinner, so add a little water to thin it. And, a note on cilantro: you don’t have to remove all the stems; they are perfectly edible. But, I do remove the larger ones so there aren’t quite so many stems.
Easy Restaurant Style Salsa Recipe
Easy Restaurant Style Salsa
Easy Restaurant Style Salsa is made with just 5 ingredients & is delicious!
- 1-2 jalapeno chiles
- 1 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can 28 ounce crushed tomatoes
- water to thin as desired
- Cut the stem off of the jalapenos, and remove the seeds and membranes. Roughly chop the chiles, and place them in the bowl of a small food processor. Add the cilantro, garlic powder, and salt, and pulse until finely chopped, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed.
- Place the chopped chile mixture along with the crushed tomatoes in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Refrigerate until cool. Check the consistency of the salsa; If you'd like it a little thinner, add a little water to reach desired consistency. Serve with chips, tacos, nachos, enchiladas, tostadas, anything!