This Pumpkin Spice Cake with Apple Butter Cream Cheese Frosting has all the things that make fall, well, fall! Cozy apples. Sweet pumpkin. Spices. Rich creamy frosting. And, then, top it all off with some homemade Salted Caramel Sauce (or store-bought if you want).
I’m really excited to bring you today’s recipe! It’s amazing! And it’s a perfect fall dessert. Oh my word, it’s so good!
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask.
Pumpkin Dessert Collection
Besides the fact that this dessert is amazing, I’m also excited about today because a few of my friends got together and are sharing AMAZING desserts today.
There’s something for every dessert lover, from apples to chocolate. From tarts to pies! Go go, you’ll want to make them all!
You’ll find the recipes listed below.
Easy to Make
The Pumpkin Spice Cake is nice and easy to make.
Mix a few dry ingredients; add in a few wet ingredients and you have a beautiful cake.
And, it’s moist enough to serve on it’s own, maybe with just a sprinkle of powdered sugar over the top.
How I created this treat
Of course, Cream Cheese Frosting is my favorite.
I thought I’d add in some of that delicious Crock Pot Apple Butter I made recently to kick up the fall flavors a bit!
The Salted Caramel Sauce may just make the whole dessert over the top – out of this world delicious!
Make up a batch of this yummy goodness to use on ice cream as well.
If you prefer to use store-bought, make sure you get a good quality caramel.
Hand mixing, anyone?
Personally, I know I’m a bit old-fashioned when it comes to baking, but I really do prefer to mix with a big sturdy fork.
I use a hand mixer sometimes, like for the frosting in this recipe.
But, I never pull out the stand mixer. For me, it’s too big and clunky.
That being said, use whatever method you like – stand mixer, hand-held electric mixer, or good ol’ arm power. This goes for just about any baking recipe out there.
If you read one that only gives you instructions for a stand mixer, you can pretty much always use the other two methods. Don’t let the recipe intimidate you.
The few exceptions I can think of are when the dough is super thick or there’s a large volume of dough. In those cases, the kitchen tools do come in handy. And, usually the recipe will tell you that.
Check out all the other AMAZING Dessert recipes below from bloggers who took part in our Challenge!
- Cherry Amaretto Frosted Brownies by Who Needs a Cape?
- Toffee Apple Cake by Lovefoodies
- Pumpkin Roll: Traditional and Gluten Free Recipes by Blessed Beyond Crazy
- Chocolate Chip Croissant Bread Pudding by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Chocolate Pudding Cheesecake by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Hummingbird Sheet Cake by The Kitchen is My Playground
Fabulous Pumpkin Recipes you’ll love
Let’s keep in touch
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, & much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tried it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Pumpkin Spice Cake Recipe
Pumpkin Spice Cake with Apple Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350° F and butter a 9×13-inch pan or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl using an electric hand mixer or a sturdy fork, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together sugar and eggs until lightened in color. Mix in oil, pumpkin, and vanilla until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, and mix at low speed until the batter is smooth.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- To make the frosting, place the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, beat until smooth. Add the butter, and continue beating until smooth and well blended. Add powdered sugar and vanilla, and beat until just combined. Mix in the apple butter, and spread over the cake.
- Cut the cake into squares, and serve drizzled with salted caramel sauce
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.