A luscious and creamy copycat vegetarian version of the Souplantation’s Cream of Mushroom Soup that’s easy to make at home. This Copycat Souplantation Vegetarian Cream of Mushroom Soup will help satisfy your craving for their foods.
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask.
Souplantation or Sweet Tomatoes
Recently the Souplantation (or Sweet Tomatoes on the east coast) announced that they were going out of business. This was very sad news to me. I loved their food, and I loved going there for birthday celebrations because everyone could get something they liked.
Salad, soup, pasta, breads, baked potatoes, muffins, dessert bar, they had it all.
But, unfortunately due to new restrictions and health codes, the restaurant decided it would be best to close its doors. Just truly sad.
The day they made their announcement everyone hoped online and looked for their Gluten Free Coconut Muffin recipe. I have a copycat of that recipe. It’s so good!
My cousin and I were talking about the muffins when she said she needed their Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe.
Now, I’ll be honest, I don’t think I ever tried their mushroom soup. It wasn’t vegetarian. So I steered clear of it.
But, I thought that so many people loved it that I’d try to locate and remake the recipe.
Remaking the recipe
I found several recipes online that claim to be the recipe. But, alas, they all had beef and chicken. That’s a no go for me. So, I decided to remake the recipe, vegetarian style!
The original recipes called for 1 tablespoon beef base and 1 tablespoon chicken base. Now, I believe these both are powdered bouillon that they are calling for here. And, sure that will add a lot of flavor.
But since I can’t eat that, I went with vegetarian Better than Bouillon. I think their mushroom flavored base would be fabulous in this soup too! Bump up the mushroom flavors even more.
The other recipes also called for chopped celery. My family is not fond of celery, and in almost every recipe I swap out the stalky green veggie for onions. So, I did that here too to make it more likeable to my family.
Also, the other change I made is to chop the mushrooms really finely in the food processor rather than slice them.
My husband likes the flavor of mushrooms, but doesn’t care for the texture, so I can chop them up really tiny and he’s all good! Besides, I find it super easy to throw the mushrooms in the food processor and let the machine do all the work.
Feel free to use these swaps that I’ve done or to go with the original beef, chicken, and celery.
I can’t tell you if my version tastes just like the Souplantation because I’ve never tried theirs, but I can tell you that mine was delicious.
Now all you need is to bake up some Gluten Free Coconut Muffins, toss a nice big fresh salad, and serve this soup along with it, and you’ll feel like you’re there.
Other mushroom soups you’ll love
I do love mushroom soups, and have a couple other recipes if you want to give them a go.
Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup(a bit thicker than this copycat recipe)
Vegetarian Mushroom Soup (a fancy mushroom soup)
Roasted Garlic Mushroom Soup (you can’t go wrong with roasted garlic
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right, or with push notifications using the red bell.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much, much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe, please come back and leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture and tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Copycat Souplantation Vegetarian Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Copycat Souplantation Vegetarian Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 pound mushrooms cleaned
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ¼ cup salted butter plus 2 ½ tablespoons salted butter divided use
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 4 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 ¼ cups water
- 3 teaspoons Better than Bouillon
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the mushrooms in quarters, and toss them in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mushrooms are finely chopped and relatively even in size. You may need to scrape down the sides of the food bowl a couple of times to get the mushroom bits even.
- In a large saucepan, combine chopped mushrooms, onions, ¼ cup butter and white pepper. Sauté over medium heat for 15 minutes or until vegetables have cooked down and released their juices. Remove from heat and set aside. Do not discard any liquid.
- While mushrooms and onions are cooking, in a large saucepan, melt remaining 2 ½ tablespoons butter over medium heat, and stir in flour. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add water in ½ cup increments, stirring well between each addition to be sure there are no lumps. Add bouillon, and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes. Soup will thicken. Stir in milk, half-and-half, and reserved mushrooms and onions, with their cooking liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.