I first posted this Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe in my Little Meat Patties and Rice recipe. I find that I use this Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup ALL the time around here (I’ll be bringing you a great casserole recipe for this Cream of Mushroom Soup soon!). So, I thought it was about time I gave it it’s own post rather than making it share with another recipe.
This Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup works for so many things from casseroles, soups, and simple home cookin’! Since I don’t buy those cans of soup anymore, I’m saving on so much sodium and so many additives. It doesn’t take that long to make your own, so give it a go!
This recipe makes a condensed type of soup that if you’re eating as a simple soup (and not adding it to another dish), you’ll want to stir in a bit more milk to reach the desired consistency.
I chop the mushrooms for this Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup in the food processor. I’ve found that my husband likes the flavor of mushrooms, but doesn’t care for the texture. So, if I chop them really finely he’s fine with them, in fact, he even likes them. I can also leave them in large chunks, so he can pick them out, but who wants to pick out mushrooms for cream of mushroom soup! If you want to chop the in the food processor, cut them in quarters before adding them to the bowl of the food processor, that way they won’t simply bounce the bowl around when you pulse them.
By the way, 6 ounces is one of those little boxes of mushrooms from my grocery store. This makes a really mushroom-y soup. You could also use some pre-sliced mushrooms for convenience.
And, as always, feel free to use whatever milk makes you happy. I prefer whole milk for this recipe; it’s nice and thick and rich without being too heavy. But 2% or maybe even a mixture of half and half and 2% would be lovely. Plant based Almond milk or soy milk would work as well for this recipe, and I’ve made it that way a few times.
Use whatever mushrooms you like. I usually buy the brown crimini mushrooms (sometimes called baby bellas or Italian mushrooms), but for the soup in this picture I used all white button mushrooms. The selection of mushrooms at the store that day lead me to buy these white ones. It turns out great whatever kind you use.
I love soup! Come and check out my collection of soups on Pinterest; you’ll find my recipes, plus many more!
And, if I make them, I always add comments to the bottom so you can see how it came out!
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or light tasting oil of your choice divided use
- ½ large onion finely chopped
- 6 ounces mushrooms finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until onion has released its water and begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Add chopped mushrooms, and cook until mushrooms release their juices and the pan looks dry again, about 5-7 minutes. Add remaining tablespoon oil, garlic powder, and flour to pan. Cook for about 2 minutes. Slowly add milk, stirring as you add so that there are no lumps. Add broth. Reduce heat, and cook for about 5 minutes longer, or until it reaches desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Soup can be made ahead up to 3 days, and kept in the fridge. Soup can also be frozen for future use.
If you're making this ahead of time, make sure to properly cool a cream-based soup BEFORE putting it in the refrigerator.
Adapted from Life Currents