Crisp, clean, and refreshing minty ice cream filled with chunks of York Peppermint Patties, this York Peppermint Patty Ice Cream will make you happy no matter what time of year you enjoy it!
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask.
How to chop the peppermint patties
I used mini York Peppermint Patties and chopped each one into 9 pieces. Thirds one direction, and then thirds in the other direction.
I found that this size chunk was very nice, any bigger, and it was too much York to the bite.
I also like the ½ cup amount to the batch of ice cream. If you’d like more Yorks per bite, by all means, feel free to add more. I’d probably recommend staying with ½ to 1 cup to one batch of ice cream.
How to add your candy mix-ins
I like to add my mix-ins to the ice cream as I layer the ice cream into the container to put in the freezer.
So, place a small amount of ice cream in the bottom of your freezer container or metal loaf pan.
Next, sprinkle on some candy pieces. Top with a bit more ice cream, some more candy pieces, and finally with some ice cream.
As you scoop, you’ll get a nice mixed ice cream.
And, don’t forget you can garnish the servings with additional chopped York pieces.
Want to make this minty ice cream even more special? Top it with some chocolate sauce.
Kitchen tools you may need for this homemade minty goodness recipe
Note: these are affiliate links
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right, or with push notifications using the red bell.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much, much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
York Peppermint Patty Ice Cream Recipe
York Peppermint Patty Ice Cream
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- ½ cup chopped York Peppermint Patties about 4 mini patties cut into 9 pieces each
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and pale yellow. Beat in the cornstarch and set aside.
- Bring the half-and-half just to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly add half of the hot half-and-half mixture to the egg mixture, whisking constantly as you pour the hot half-and-half mixture in; then pour this mixture back into the saucepan.
- Place the saucepan back over medium-low heat, and cook the custard, stirring constantly, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon; keep a close eye on it, as it should never come to a boil. When thick enough, the custard should register 170°F on a candy thermometer. Pour the custard through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl.
- Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the cream and peppermint extract. Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard. Freeze the custard in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer the finished ice cream to an airtight container, layering and mixing in the chopped York Peppermint Patty candies, and place it in the freezer until ready to serve.
- When finished, the ice cream will be soft but ready to eat. For firmer ice cream, wait at least 2 hours, or overnight.