Peppermint Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies
Last week I shared a recipe for Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies as part of the Freaky Friday cookie exchange (a recipe from The Devilish Dish). Well, I loved those cookies so much that I tried them with peppermint (my favorite winter flavor!). They were amazing! So, I thought I’d share them with you. You know, in case you agree that peppermint is amazing! Peppermint Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies!
This post contains affiliate links, which, if you buy something won’t cost you any extra, but help support this blog. High five to you!
Notes about the recipe:
I call for 2-3 drops of peppermint extract in the filling. It may seem small, but peppermint extract is mighty! You can always add more, but you can never take it out! Taste the filling after you’ve made it, and remember that you’ll be rolling the outside of the sandwiches in peppermint candies. If you feel the filling needs more peppermint flavor, now’s the time to add it, but go slowly.
The icing calls for raw egg whites. I know that many people will have a problem with this. Risk of salmonella and all; everyone has been told the worst-case scenario for so long. I can tell you, that I have been eating raw eggs all my life – hello cookie dough! – And I’ve never gotten sick from it. Make sure your eggs are clean, and follow safe food handling procedures. In the U.S., our store-bought eggs are washed, so never leave them sitting on the counter, because all the protective covering of the egg has been washed off. If the idea of raw eggs is just something you can’t get over, there are a few alternatives you can use: egg white powder, meringue powder, egg beaters (or equivalent brand) all egg whites (which are pasteurized). I have not tried these substitutes; again, I have never seen the need.
Peppermint Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies Recipe:
If you like what you see, click the yum button: Yum
Or, add to a Flipboard magazine Add to Flipboard Magazine.
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 1/8 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoons fine grain salt
- ¾ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 ¼ cups light brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cups unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 2-3 drops peppermint extract or more to taste
- ¾ cups shortening
- 2 egg whites beaten until frothy
- Crushed candy canes or peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, cream together (beat until well mixed) butter and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats. Using a cookie scoop, or a spoon, drop dough by rounded spoonfuls onto Silpat lined or lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 8-11 minutes. Let cool completely before filling.
- To make filling, combine powdered sugar, vanilla, peppermint extract, and shortening until creamy. Fold in beaten egg whites. Spread filling between two cookies to create a sandwich.
- Spread crushed peppermint candies on a small plate. Roll each filled sandwich cookie in crushed peppermint, or spoon crushed peppermint onto sides of sandwich cookies. Wrap each cookie individually in plastic wrap, and store cookie sandwiches in the fridge.