Cranberry Cheesecake Dream Bars with an Almond Shortbread Crust
When I was a kid baking recipes all started with, “cream the butter and sugar”, which, I think many bakers still understand that to mean, “mix the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy”. But somewhere along the way the wording changed. I also think how we “cream the butter and sugar” changed. My mom always handed me a big bowl with the butter and sugar in it, and a nice sturdy fork. It was my job to mix those bad boys together until they were light and fluffy. Sure, no one had a fancy stand mixer in those days. We did, however, have a hand-held mixer, but we never used it for simply mixing the butter and sugar together.
Here we are many years later, and I still prefer to cream the butter and sugar with a nice sturdy fork in a big ol’ bowl. Maybe I’m old-fashioned. Maybe I just like to get to know my food. Maybe I like the little bit of exercise/arm workout that I get from doing it by hand.
But, if you don’t care to do it by hand, that’s just fine too. I know some people who love to cook, but have arthritis in their hands, so it hurts too much to do it by hand. The stand mixer is perfect for them. Or, maybe you just like the speed and quickness that the power tools give. It’s all good. And, I’d like to remind everyone that most cookie recipes are just like this one – use the tool you prefer for this type of mixing. A stand mixer, a hand-held mixer, a sturdy fork – they’re all good.
These Cranberry Cheesecake Dream Bars with an Almond Shortbread Crust are amazing. A buttery almond crust topped with a creamy no-bake vanilla cheesecake layer. And all crowned by a festively tart cranberry topping. So lovely. So seasonal. And, great for the holidays.
I’ve teamed up with some great bloggers to bring you some awesome cranberry recipes. These recipes will be shared all week! Take a look below the recipe card to see all the recipes being shared today!
If you like what you see, please click the yum button: Yum
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine grain salt
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup cold heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter a 9x9-inch baking pan, and set aside. Using a sturdy fork, a stand-mixer, or a hand-held mixer, beat the butter and sugar until very fluffy and well blended. Gradually stir in the almond flour, flour, and salt until well combined. Press the mixture into the bottom of the buttered 9x9 dish, trying to get it as level as possible. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool completely.
- Place cranberries, sugar, and water in a small saucepan, and cook over medium heat until cranberries have softened and popped, and mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand held mixer or an electric stand mixer, mix the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add the sour cream and cream, and continue to mix until the mixture is thickened about, 4-5 minutes. Spread the cheesecake mixture over the top of the completely cooled crust, use an offset spatula to help smooth it out.
- Gently spoon the cranberries over the top of the cheesecake. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to overnight (if you can wait that long!).
Welcome to #CranberryWeek, hosted by Caroline’s Cooking and A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures. We’ll be sharing cranberry-inspired creations all week long in celebration of national cranberry day. Search #CranberryWeek to keep up to date and follow the #CranberryWeek Pinterest board for more cranberry inspiration. But first, see all the other cranberry recipes being shared today:
- Cranberry Apple Sauce from Cooking With Carlee
- Cranberry Bliss Bars from Palatable Pastime
- Cranberry Cheesecake Brownies by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Cranberry Cheesecake Dream Bars from Life Currents
- Cranberry Grains Power Bowl from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cranberry Streusel Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Maple Cranberry Sauce from Cricket’s Confections
- Pumpkin Dump Cake with Cranberries from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Roasted Cranberry Bourbon Crush from Take Two Tapas
- Savory Cranberry and Cheese Tart from Caroline’s Cooking
- Tuna Salad with Cranberries from Sew You Think You Can Cook