These Foil Roasted Caramelized Onions are a great way to make caramelized onions without the fuss and problems of stirring them in a pan and hoping that they don’t burn.
Simple and not much active time, get you a lovely little caramelized onion. Perfect!
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask. The comments can be easily found using the orange circle on the lower left, then Join the discussion!
How to use Foil Roasted Caramelized Onions
And there’s so many things you can do with them!
- Blend them into a soup for a roasty flavor.
- Chop them up and add them to tacos, enchiladas, or a sandwich.
- Top a pizza with caramelized onions.
- They make a great addition to a side dish.
- Just steam or roast some veggies like broccoli, asparagus or carrots and throw in some foil roasted caramelized onions for a super simple but yummy side.
- Add some green or red peppers and you have the makings for fajitas.
- Oh, or top them with a fried egg for a yummy breakfast!
- They’re kind of like how I do my baked potatoes; and they’d be great in a baked potato too!
- The options are pretty much endless.
Roast these in the oven year-round, or on the grill when the weather cooperates.
Let’s keep in touch
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, & much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Foil Roasted Caramelized Onions Recipe
Foil Roasted Caramelized Onions
- 1 large onion peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil or light tasting oil of your choice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 thyme sprig
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut onion in half vertically, and drizzle each cut side with 1/4 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle halves evenly with salt and pepper. Place thyme sprig on 1 onion half; top with other half. Wrap in foil.
- Bake the wrapped onion at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool to room temperature. Discard thyme, and chop onions.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.