This dessert is entirely inspired by my friend Sophia at NY Foodgasm. See, first off, she’s all about way yummy food done in a healthy way. Next, she said she wanted to do a pumpkin round-up with some new pumpkin recipes. Then, to top that all off, she said she, no in fact, she almost dared me to put some bourbon in it. What, healthy, pumpkin with bourbon? Sure, I could’ve just done a pumpkin bread or pumpkin cookie. But, I wanted something special for Sophia. Something fun.
I pondered it for a while, and, finally thought of my Creamy Healthy Chocolate Pudding. I bet that it would be great with pumpkin instead of chocolate. Making it more autumnal. More seasonal. And, heck, everyone seems to love pumpkin right now! And, sure, I could’ve just added bourbon to the pudding, but that seemed like cheating. So, I decided to top it with Bourbon Glazed Pecans. Now, for these pictures I left the pecans whole, I think it makes a really pretty presentation. But, after eating it I think having the pecans chopped and more of them per dessert would be fabulous!
So, I bring you my Skinny Pumpkin Cheesecake Pudding with Bourbon Glazed Pecans. Or, maybe I should just call it Sophia’s Pudding!
A nice rich tangy dessert that’s high in protein and calcium. Pumpkin is a good source of vitamin A, and is filled with Beta-Carotene which can protect your cells from the damaging effects of free radicals and can enhance the functioning of your immune system. It feels like you’re cheating, but you aren’t!
Bourbon Glazed Pecans
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground mace
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place pecans on a cookie sheet, and toast until they become aromatic, about 10-15 minutes. Watch them carefully as they burn easily.
- Lay out a large piece of parchment paper or wax paper on the counter. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, spices, and salt. Set aside.
- In saucepan on medium heat, melt butter. Add the brown sugar mixture, and stir until sugar dissolves completely. Add bourbon and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add pecans to sauce and mix to coat. Pour pecans onto prepared parchment paper, and separate the pecans with 2 forks. Allow to cool at least 20 minutes.
Makes 2 cups of pecans. I figured a serving is roughly 1/4 cup each. This recipe makes more pecans than you'll need for the pudding. Use the leftovers to top salads, throw on ice cream, or just snack on!
Adapted from Just A Pinch
Skinny Pumpkin Cheesecake Pudding
- ¼ pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons low-fat or non-fat milk
- ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 ounce light cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 ½ tablespoons powdered sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon bourbon or vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender, and blend until very smooth, scraping down the sides once or twice.
- Spoon pudding into 2 serving dishes. Top with bourbon glazed pecans. Enjoy!
Adapted from Life Currents (hey, that's me!)