Vegan Sweet Potato Miso Soup
Here’s a nice simple creamy soup that happens to be vegan. It gets that creaminess from the miso paste. It’s full of flavor and homey goodness. It’s perfect for those nights you want something tasty and hot without a lot of work.
Vegan Sweet Potato Miso Soup Recipe
Sweet Potato Miso Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks white and light green parts washed and sliced into ¼-inch slices
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 pound sweet potato peeled and cubed into ½-inch cubes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- Heat a 4-quart pot over medium heat and add the oil. Add the leeks and onion and sauté for about 10-15 minutes, stirring often, until the onion begins to brown.
- Add the sweet potato cubes, vegetable broth, and water, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Simmer 20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through and easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove the soup from the heat and allow to cool. Working in batches, ladle the soup into a blender, and blend the soup with the miso and pepper until smooth and free of chunks. Or, add the miso paste to the pot, and use an immersion blender to blend the soup in the pot.
- Transfer the blended soup back to the original soup pot and warm over low heat until heated through, do not allow soup to boil again or the miso will break. Garnish with additional fresh pepper, herbs, or flowers from the garden. Enjoy!
Makes 4-6 servings