Breaded shrimp, perfectly cooked, with a delicious coconut coating. These Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp are great as an appetizer or serve them as the main course with some steamed rice and veggie stir fry.
Thanks for your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask.
However you serve them, you’re going to love how quick they are to make and cook, as well as how light and crispy they are, without being deep fried!
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp are crispy crunchy on the outside with succulent juicy shrimp inside, and these are guilt-free because they are made in the Air Fryer.
I love my new air fryer! I use it all the time now.
Mostly, I feel that it functions as a really easy to use and smaller oven.
In my efforts to learn all about my new Air Fryer, I decided to try some coconut shrimp.
These are delicious. Easy to make. Great coconut flavor!
Personal story warning
Recently we went to a local Chinese restaurant, and I ordered some coconut shrimp as an appetizer.
When the shrimp arrived, we were disappointed to find no evident coconut anywhere on them. They were just breaded shrimp. Tasty, sure, but not coconut shrimp even remotely.
Maybe that’s why I really wanted to make these Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp. To make up for the fact that I still really wanted some shrimp with coconut on them!
These did not disappoint! (Unlike these restaurant ones).
How to prep Shrimp
Simply defrost frozen, peeled, & deveined shrimp and remove the shell from the tail. I like to buy the extra jumbo shrimp 16/20 count per pound. They’re nice big shrimp.
To defrost the shrimp, simply place them in a medium bowl and cover with cool tap water. Change the water out for fresh tap water a couple of times, and in about 5 minutes they’ll be defrosted. At this point, the tail shell is easily removable.
Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel.
It’s your choice if you want to leave the tails on or remove them before cooking.
As you can see in the photos, I removed the tails. I find it easier to eat them if they are breaded and cooked without the tails.
But, if you’re going for a really pretty presentation, like for appetizers at a party, feel free to leave the tails on.
Great dipping sauces to serve with your Coconut Shrimp
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right, or with push notifications using the red bell.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much, much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp Recipe
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt divided use
- ½ teaspoon black pepper divided use
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder divided use
- ½ teaspoon paprika divided use
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- ½ pound large shrimp peeled & deveined
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Pat the shrimp with a paper towel to dry.
- Mix the flour and half of the seasonings together in a shallow bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in a separate bowl.
- Combine the panko breadcrumbs, coconut, and the other half of the seasonings in a third bowl.
- Coat each shrimp with flour, then dip in egg, and then roll in coconut mixture. Dip in egg mixture and breadcrumbs again. Set aside on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Select Preheat on the Air Fryer, adjust to 350°F, and press Start/Pause.
- Add the shrimp evenly into the preheated air fryer pan, and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Select Frozen Foods, adjust time to 8 minutes, and press Start/Pause. Or, cook according to your Air Fryer’s manufacturer’s directions.
- Flip each shrimp halfway through cooking.
- Serve hot with dipping sauce if desired.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.