Chocolate S’mores Bars with a buttery crisp graham cracker crust, a soft luscious chocolate layer (that’s enhanced with a little coffee), and all topped off with toasted marshmallows. This is everything you want from a S’more!
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask.
Chocolate Mousse Cups inspire
I pulled the Chocolate Cups out of the fridge after dinner one night, and as we had them for dessert, Dan said they would make great s’mores.
He liked the flavor, and how soft the chocolate was. One of the things he doesn’t like in a s’more, is when the chocolate is still hard; it should be melty and soft. So, those little Chocolate Mousse Cups sparked the Chocolate S’mores Bars testing.
Soft rich chocolate layer
So, this nice soft chocolate layer solves the non-melty problem. You know, you always want the chocolate to be nice and soft and melty, but often it isn’t. It’s still just hard in bar form when you make s’mores.
And the little addition of coffee to the chocolate layer just enhances the chocolate. Makes it richer. I certainly don’t think you can taste it at all. But, I do love coffee, so maybe I’m biased.
Graham cracker crumbs
Buy the graham cracker crumbs already crumbled in a box. My grocery store carries them with the already made shelf stable pie crusts by the jello. If you can’t find the pre-crumbled grahams, you can make them. To make graham cracker cookie crumbs, break up crackers or cookies into small pieces, and pulse in a food processor until finely ground.
If you are making them yourself, use about 6 ounces or about 10 graham crackers to get 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs.
The invention of S’mores
I always sort of thought that S’mores came from the girl scouts.
They might be the essence of summer and outdoors.
Historically, the first official published recipe for “some mores” was in a 1927 guidebook called Tramping and Trailing with the Girl Scouts. Loretta Scott Crew, a troop leader, is given credit for the recipe.
And I just saw this article about the Scientific Quest for the Perfect S’more, and I thought it was really interesting. Take a look here.
Other great S’mores recipes you’ll love
Recipe & Baking Tip
My mom taught me this one when I was a kid and would help her in the kitchen.
When you need to butter or grease a baking pan, take a plastic ziptop type bag and place it over your hand. Now use that to swipe into and scoop up the butter or shortening. Smear the butter onto the pan with the plastic baggie still on your hand. You can move your hand around really well while wearing the bag. When you’re done buttering the pan, take the bag off your hand, while turning it inside out. Now all the residual butter is inside the baggie, and you can easily throw it in the trash with your clean hands.
Let’s keep in touch
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right, or with push notifications using the red bell.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much, much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Chocolate S’mores Bars Recipe
Chocolate S’mores Bars Recipe
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter plus additional for greasing
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs about 6 ounces or about 10 graham crackers
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Melt 5 tablespoons butter in a medium microwave safe bowl in the microwave.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter an 8×8 inch or 9×9 inch baking dish.
- Stir together melted butter, graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt in a bowl and press evenly on bottom and up sides of buttered baking dish. Bake until crisp, 12 to 15 minutes, then completely cool on a rack to room temperature, about 45 minutes.
- In a small saucepan combine coconut milk, coconut oil, coffee, and salt, and heat (scald) over medium heat until small bubbles appear around the edges. Remove from heat, and stir in chocolate chips until chocolate has melted. Stir in vanilla. Pour onto cooled graham cracker crust, and refrigerate for at least an hour or until set.
Make the s’mores:
- Place the mini marshmallows on top of the cooled and set chocolate layer. Carefully toast the marshmallows with a food safe blow torch. Cut the S’mores into 9 bars.
- Store the bars in the fridge so the chocolate stays nice and set.