I love the combination of the peppery crunchy croutons on top of the fresh green crunchy pea pods. I used 3 different kinds of peas in this dish. Snow peas (I’ve also seen them called China Peas) are the skinny pea pods; Sugar snap peas are the fatter pea pods that you can see there are green peas inside; and I’m pretty sure everyone is familiar with frozen peas. I highly recommend the use of petite frozen peas. They’re smaller and more tender than the large frozen peas, and therefore require less cooking. If you go with the larger frozen peas, you may need to increase your cooking time a little (perhaps adding the large frozen peas at the same time you add the pea pods).
I always cut the tips of the pea pods off. And, if you have pods with strings you’ll want to remove the strings. Here’s how… Hold a small knife in one hand and the snap pea in the other, with the inside curve of the pod facing you. Cut one of the tips of the pea and pull off the tough string that runs along the length of the top of the pod.
I’ve had a love of pea pods ever since I was a kid and we used to grow English peas in the backyard. I’d go out and pick a few pods off the vine and snack on fresh peas. Oh, man they were one of my favorites. In fact, they still are. And, in the springtime when you can find English pea pods at the markets I buy bunches of them for snacking. They would be lovely in this dish as well, if you can find them.
If you want to make the dish vegan, sub canned coconut milk for the whole milk. Canned coconut milk will give a nice thick creaminess to the dish. And, leave the Asiago off.
Creamy Skillet Peas with Pepper Croutons
- 1 cup French bread cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or your choice of light flavored oil divided use
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper divided use
- 3 medium shallots chopped
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas ends cut off and strings removed (about 2 cups)
- 3 ounces snow peas ends cut off and strings removed (about ½ cup)
- 2 cups frozen peas thawed
- ½ cup whole milk
- Freshly grated Asiago cheese to garnish
- In a medium bowl toss bread cubes with 1 tablespoon oil, salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add bread; sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until toasted. Transfer back to the bowl, and set aside.
- Swirl remaining 1 tablespoon oil into pan. Add shallots; sauté until browned and softened, about 5 minutes. Add sugar snap peas and snow peas; sauté 1 to 2 minutes or until peas are bright green. Add thawed frozen peas, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper; sauté about 2 minutes or until well combined and heated through.
- Add milk to sautéed peas mixture; cook 1 minute or until snap peas are crisp-tender and cream thickens. Remove pan from heat. Sprinkle with grated Asiago and bread cubes. Enjoy!