Lemon Poke Cake is a homemade from scratch moist lemony cake that’s the perfect balance of tart lemon, light sweet cake, and all topped off with freshly whipped cream.
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask.
I love lemon dessert! Who’s with me? I know so many of you are! We have many lemon desserts here on Life Currents, and I think it’s time for another one!
It’s the perfect dessert to serve your family and friends!
The cake is really easy to make, with only 5 ingredients in the cake, and 2 ingredients in the lemon syrup, it comes together in no time.
And, it’s so luscious and delicious!
And the ingredients are all simple. Nothing complicated. And no boxes of Jell-o or pudding to be found in this recipe.
A luscious sweet treat
This delicious lemon poke cake is super moist and packed full of lemon flavor! This cake is a great sweet treat!
Refrigerate or serve at room temperature
You can store this cake at room temperature, making it perfect for a spring time potluck like Easter or for Mother’s Day. Or serve it at summer pool parties.
Or, you can store it in the fridge, which will give it a more pudding like flavor and texture. I love it both ways – fridge or room temp – maybe preferring it a bit from the fridge. That pudding texture is to die for.
Freshly made whipped cream
I love my whipped cream dispenser to make homemade whipped cream in no time flat. It’s so easy and so yummy.
I simply pour about 1 cup of heavy cream into the canister, add in some powdered sugar, usually about 1-2 tablespoons. Taste to make sure it’s sweet enough. Then you can add in any flavoring you want. For this cake I might add a dash of vanilla extract. Or, try a little limoncello for an adult whipped cream.
Put the lid on the dispenser, give it a good shake. Then add the charger, and you’re all ready with fresh whipped cream. Yum!
Kitchen tools you may need
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right, or with push notifications using the red bell.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much, much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Lemon Poke Cake Recipe
Lemon Poke Cake
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature (1 ½ sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups self-rising flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Butter an 8x8x2-inch baking pan.
- Using a hand held electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add 1 cup sugar and lemon peel and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in 1 egg, then half of the flour; repeat. Transfer batter to prepared the baking pan.
- Bake the cake, until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- While cake bakes, make the lemon syrup. Combine ½ cup sugar and lemon juice in small saucepan, and heat over medium heat, Stir until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Place cake still in the pan on a cooling rack. Using slender wooden skewer, poke holes all over top of cake. Spoon syrup over cake in several additions, allowing syrup to be absorbed each time.
- Cool cake completely.
- Cut cake into squares. Serve with freshly whipped & lightly sweetened whipped cream; spoon berries alongside. Garnish with mint, if desired.