Shaved Broccoli Salad
Ok, let’s be honest. You made some New Year’s resolutions to be healthier. Maybe to eat healthier or exercise more or something. And, well, it’s the middle of January, and your enthusiasm may be waning a little. Maybe just a little!
That’s where my Shaved Broccoli Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing comes in. It come in like a little super hero wearing a fresh little green cape. It comes in all fun and tasty, and you almost forget that you’re eating a healthy veggie filled salad. As you twirl the little ribbons around your fork you’ll think to yourself, yep, I’m glad I made the promise to eat a little healthier.
Most of the work on this salad is done with the veggie peeler. Slicing the mushrooms and red onion, however, isn’t really easy with a peeler, so I like to use the mandoline to slice the onion and mushroom really thinly, but, please be careful! If you don’t like the mandolin or don’t have one, slice these with a knife.
Part of what I love about this salad is that it uses the stalk of the broccoli, you know, that part that most people throw away. The stalk is really sweet and yummy, but you have to trim off the woody skin on the outside. Once you get rid of the outside, it’s tender and yummy. The stalk is great for stir frys as well; just peel off the outside, chop the tender part inside, and toss into a stir fry. Chop any remaining broccoli or carrot that you aren’t able to shred and toss into a stir fry.
This is the base of the broccoli stalk. Can you see how there’s a little ring around the outside of the stalk. This is the tough outer skin that you want to peel off first. You’ll see a difference in color and texture once you start peeling.
I wish you all a happy and healthy New Year, each and every year!
Shaved Broccoli Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing Recipe
Shaved Broccoli Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- 3 broccoli stalks
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 large cremini mushroom
- ¼ cup red onion
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro loosely packed
- broccoli floret finely chopped for garnish
- zest and juice of half lemon preferably Meyer Lemon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the broccoli stalks off of the florets, and trim a small slice of the base of the broccoli stalk off. Using a vegetable peeler, trim off the woody skin on the outside of the stalk and discard the outside. Shave the tender inside of the broccoli stem into long ribbons. Place ribbons in a large bowl. Peel the carrot into long ribbons in the same fashion, and place with the shaved broccoli in the large bowl.
- Carefully slice the mushroom and red onion very thinly using a mandolin or a sharp knife, and toss into the bowl with the broccoli and carrots ribbons.
- Roughly chop the cilantro and toss in the bowl.
- For dressing: Zest the lemon into a small bowl and set aside. Mix remaining dressing ingredients in a separate small bowl and drizzle onto the veggies in the bowl. Toss to combine. Spoon salad onto serving plates and garnish with lemon zest and chopped broccoli floret.