I really liked this Wild Rice Salad at the baby shower. I think having different colors and textures is so appealing, and it seems to make people hungrier. Also, I like serving different things than people usually get at luncheons. This one fit the bill for all of that: colorful, full of flavor, new. It was a big hit!
I would totally make this for a regular work-week lunch as well. Toss some of this in a to-go jar or dish (these are the kind I love) and eat it with a nice piece of fruit and a cheese stick. Perfect and easy lunch. It doesn’t even need to be heated up!
It’s really easy to make and was perfect for the shower. We chopped all the veggies and nuts, and made the dressing a couple days before. I made the rice the morning of the party and allowed it to cool to room temp. Then, just tossed it all together and back in the fridge until it was time to serve.
- 1 cup wild rice uncooked
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted unsalted cashews
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Cook wild rice in 2 cups water in rice cooker. Or combine 4 cups of water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Add wild rice, and reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Drain well, transfer rice to a large bowl, and cool.
- Once rice has cooled, mix in dried cranberries, pecans, cashews, green onion, celery and red onion.
- In a small bowl, mix together vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, and sugar. Using a whisk, mix olive oil into dressing. Pour the dressing over the rice mixture and toss.
- The salad can be made up to 3 days ahead of time and chilled in fridge.
Adapted from Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body
If you like what you see, please click the yum button: Yum