I love the slow cooker (or Crock Pot)! Especially in the busy fall and winter months. When you can put something on, have it cook and smell yummy and not have to do much! Oh that’s perfection! And that’s exactly what this Creamy Broccoli and Wild Rice Slow Cooker Soup brings to the table!
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in several different affiliate programs. Links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site – and I get lots of questions about recipes: what ingredients to use, where to find ingredients, hows and whys.
To better serve all readers on Life Currents, I’ve made a commitment to put lots of information in my posts, including helpful tips, tricks, essential cooking information, and delicious similar recipe ideas.
If you’d like to skip over that information, please simply use the jump to recipe button at the top, or scroll to the bottom of the page where you will find the easy printable recipe card.
Nice and easy to make
This Creamy Broccoli and Wild Rice Slow Cooker Soup totally works for the cooler months when you want something yummy, warm, and filling (and easy!).
This soup is great for a little variety too. You can throw in some ham or some bacon, to add a nice meaty smoky flavor. Throw in some leftover Thanksgiving turkey to help use up those leftovers.
Easy to make
If you want to make it even easier, use some shredded carrots from the produce section at the grocery store.
I would just throw those into the crock pot and not even worry about precooking them, because they’re so small they should cook up really quickly.
What if I can’t find wild rice?
If you can’t find plain wild rice at the store, you can use a rice blend instead.
I saw many rice blends that had wild rice in them when I was shopping for the ingredients for this soup.
I had to go to Trader Joe’s to get the plain wild rice, as my grocery store didn’t carry it.
Other great soups
Looking for more great soups to serve? I love soup, and here are some of my favorites!
What kind of milk to use?
I highly recommend half and half for this recipe; it’s what gives a really creamy soup.
But, if you don’t want those calories, use the milk of your choice: skim milk will make a thinner soup that’s lower in calories, whole milk will give a good compromise between half and half and skim milk.
You could even use a non-dairy milk like canned coconut milk (that would give a great thick soup), or almond milk.
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right, or with push notifications using the red bell.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much, much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you have any questions about how to make this recipe, or if you try it, please come back and leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Or, if you make this recipe, tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a photo (I would love to see) via the pin.
Creamy Broccoli and Wild Rice Slow Cooker Soup Recipe
Creamy Broccoli and Wild Rice Slow Cooker Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 4 carrots sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup wild rice uncooked
- ½ cup long grain white rice uncooked
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups half and half
- 2 cups broccoli florets broken into small florets
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- ½ cup sliced almonds toasted
- paprika for garnish
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, sauté the onions until tender and starting to brown, about 10-15 minutes. Add carrot and continue to cook 5 minutes until carrot is soft. Transfer cooked vegetables to the bowl of a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Add next 8 ingredients, broth through pepper, to the slow cooker, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 2 ½ to 3 hours, or until vegetables are softened and rice is cooked.
- About 30 minutes before serving the soup, mix in the half and half, broccoli, and cheese, cover, and cook on low for another 30 minutes. Taste for seasonings. Ladle soup into bowls, and garnish with almonds and paprika, and enjoy.