Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup – warm and comforting, this soup is simply amazingly delicious, and filled with good for you veggies.
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in several different affiliate programs. Links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
JUST TAKE ME TO THE RECIPE ALREADY!
I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site – and I get lots of questions about recipes: what ingredients to use, where to find ingredients, hows and whys.
To better serve all readers on Life Currents, I’ve made a commitment to put lots of information in my posts, including helpful tips, tricks, essential cooking information, and delicious similar recipe ideas.
If you’d like to skip over that information, please simply scroll to the bottom of the page, where you will find the easy printable recipe card. It’s right there with a pretty bright yellow background.
If you have any questions about how to make this recipe, or if you try it, please come back and leave a comment below letting us know how it goes. Or, if you make this recipe, tag @lifecurrents on Instagram. Or you can upload a photo (I would love to see) via the pin.
I made this soup one rainy day recently, and Dan made fresh bread. It was so nice that there was a chill in the air. Cool colder weather. I like to think of it as soup weather.
I’ve been trying to serve more broccoli around here lately. Broccoli is a great anti-inflammatory, and that should help with a little injury that’s happened.
I think food can help heal. So, when it was cold outside, I decided that broccoli soup sounded really good. And, I love the crock pot. It makes everything taste so good, and it’s so easy. The house smelled amazing too.
Use the stalks for this soup!
Don’t forget that the stalks of the broccoli are edible. You just want to peel or cut the tough outer skin off the stalk, and chop the tender center with the rest of the broccoli. It cooks up nicely, and tastes delicious. Dan didn’t even notice that I had put the stalks in the soup! bwa ha ha!
Mushrooms in a broccoli soup?
The addition of mushrooms to a broccoli cheese soup might seem a bit odd, but my mom used to make a broccoli rice casserole and she always used canned cream of mushroom soup.
So, when I thought of warm comforting broccoli soup, I thought of mushrooms. I chop them into really fine pieces, that way the husband doesn’t mind them being there. He likes the taste of mushroom, but not the texture.
You can chop the mushrooms by hand or in a food processor; either way works well. Just make sure they are nice and small, and they’ll practically melt into the soup adding their lovely taste.
Better than Bouillon
I use the Better than Bouillon vegetable base all the time around here. It tastes really good, lasts a long time, and is easy to use. You can buy it on Amazon through my affiliate link here.
If you don’t have any Better than Bouillon, you can still substitute your favorite broth or stock for the water/bouillon combination.
Milk of choice
Use the milk of your choice in the soup: cream or half and half will make a thicker richer soup that’s higher in calories; skim milk will make a thinner soup that’s lower in calories. I recommend cream for this soup; there really isn’t that much of it in the soup, and the richness it provides is amazing. You could even use a non-dairy plant-based milk like canned coconut milk (that would give a great thick soup), or almond milk.
If you like seeing my recipes, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much, much more:
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
CROCK POT BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP – WARM AND COMFORTING, THIS SOUP IS SIMPLY AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS, AND FILLED WITH GOOD FOR YOU VEGGIES.
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups water
- 3 teaspoons Better than Bouillon vegetable base paste
- 4 cups finely chopped broccoli florets and stalks included
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon kosher Salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup heavy cream half & half, or milk of your choice
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the chopped onions, and sauté until they soften and start to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic. Slowly add the flour, stirring constantly, about 2-3 minutes. Slowly add the water and broth paste, stirring constantly as you add. Cook about 5 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Pour the soup into a large slow cooker, and add the chopped broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, salt, pepper, and dried thyme. Cover and cook on high heat for 2 ½ - 3 hours or low heat for 6 hours, stirring a couple of times while it cooks.
- Turn heat off, and remove about 1 ½ to 2 cups of the cooked soup, and carefully (it will be hot) blend in a blender or with an immersion blender. Return blended soup to the crock pot. Slowly stir in cream, cheddar, and Parmesan. Taste for salt and pepper, and adjust seasonings if desired. Garnish with additional thyme, chopped broccoli, or Parmesan.
Stove top directions:
I made this the other day on the stove top because I had forgotten to pop it in the crock pot. It worked great. Simply follow the directions, and rather than moving it to the crock pot at the end of step 1. Leave it in the pan on the stove and cook for 20 - 25 minutes or until the veggies are soft. Continue following along with step 2.