Slow Cooker Creamy Tortilla Soup is super eay to make in the crock pot or slow cooker, and deliciously creamy while being vegan and healthy. It’s perfect for a Meatless Monday.
I’ve paired up with Meatless Monday and Silk® to bring you my Slow Cooker Creamy Tortilla Soup for their “Sideline Meat Taste Challenge”. My views and comments are solely my own and do not represent those of WhiteWave and/or Silk®.
I’ve loved Silk for a long time. They’re the ones that bring you that yummy dairy-free, plant-based, lactose-free milk. Now they have lots of different flavors from soy milk to almond milk to cashew milk, and coconut milk.
And, well you know that I love all things football and tailgating snacks, so when they said this was for their “Sideline Meat Taste Challenge” I was very excited!
Of course, I’ve been “sidelining” meat for over 25 years now. And, as a happy vegetarian I can tell you it is possible to eat a variety of yummy foods.
This Message provided by Meatless Monday on behalf of Silk®: “Plant-based meals are a smart choice for people and the planet, so this football season, celeb chef Candice Kumai (Iron Chef America, Top Chef), and professional football players – Rashad Jennings, Justin Pugh and Geoff Schwartz – are working with Silk to encourage people to ‘Sideline Meat’ on Meatless Monday nights!
Candice created meat- and dairy- free versions of favorite game day dishes, such as Hearty Black Bean Chili, Sweet Potato Avocado Sliders and Spicy Cashew Hummus. Click here to watch their “Sideline Meat Taste Challenge,” where Kumai proves to the athletes that plant-based can be just as delicious as their normal football fare!”
Taking their inspiration I decided I wanted to make a creamy tortilla soup, and, well, it would be even better if it was made in the crock pot so you can watch the football game while the soup cooks, so I tossed it all in the crock pot (and boy does it smell awesome as it cooks!).
You can also take this soup with you to the game or to a potluck.
It’s easy, yummy, full of flavor, and everyone from vegetarians to vegans to meat eaters will love it!
I give instructions on how to toast corn tortillas in a dry skillet for this recipe (it’s really easy!), but if you want to save yourself some time, simply use some bagged tortilla chips.
And, heck, any football party is bound to have some tortilla chips.
Oh, and don’t forget, use your favorite salsa in this. Keep it mild for a mild soup, use hot if you like it spicy!
Slow Cooker Creamy Tortilla Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Creamy Tortilla Soup
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 can 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 can 10 ounces Ro-tel
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup Silk Original Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 4 slices wheat bread
- Corn tortillas cut into strips
For Garnish, optional
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Red onion chopped
- Place all ingredients except Silk and wheat bread in the bowl of a 5-quart slow cooker, and stir until combined. Cover, and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Remove 3 cups of the soup and place in the bowl of a blender. Add the wheat bread to the soup in the blender, and blend until pureed and smooth. Return pureed soup to the crock pot, and add the Silk, and cover allow to heat through, about 10-15 minutes.
- While the soup finishes cooking, toss the tortilla strips into an ungreased (dry) cast iron or other skillet, and toast until golden and browned.
- Serve the Slow Cooker Creamy Tortilla Soup hot garnished with toasted tortilla strips, avocado, cilantro, and/or red onion.