Skillet Brownies with Pretzel Crust – a super fun dessert that will be a hit at any tailgating party!
I wanted a fun tailgating snacks month dessert, something worthy of tailgating and football parties! Well, I think I succeeded with this Skillet Brownies with Pretzel Crust recipe.
Basically, you make a big pretzel cookie in the skillet, then top it with brownie goodness. I mean, what could be better than brownies and pretzels together for a tailgate dessert. And these skillet desserts are so cute! You could even top it with a big ol’ scoop of vanilla ice cream once it comes out of the oven, but is that going over board? Nah, go for it!
Now, I’ve always had a problem getting the first slice of any pie or cake to come out neat and intact, and this Skillet Brownie is no different. But, after that, it’s no problem getting the slices to come out, especially if your skillet is well seasoned. If you need some pointers on how to care for your cast iron skillet, check my post here.
The brownie part of this recipe comes from Cooking Light magazine, so it isn’t too high in fat or calories. And, it’s one of my favorite brownie recipes. I love that it has a little hint of espresso in the mix. It gives it just the right bittersweet flavor. They also get a great crust on top.
Now, I’m not saying these Skillet Brownies with Pretzel Crust are health food, but come on, this is Tailgating Snacks Month!
Skillet Brownies with Pretzel Crust Recipe
Skillet Brownies with Pretzel Crust
For pretzel crust
For Brownie Layer
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso granules or 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Additional mini pretzels for topping
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
For Pretzel Crust
- In a medium bowl, stir together crushed pretzels, flour, brown sugar, and baking soda. Stir in the melted butter. Using your fingers, press the pretzel mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 10-inch cast iron skillet. Bake in a 350 oven for 10 minutes. Carefully remove skillet from oven, leaving oven at 350 degrees.
- While the crust bakes, prepare the brownie batter.
For Brownie Layer
- Combine boiling water and espresso in a medium bowl. Add chocolate chips, and stir until chocolate melts; cool slightly. Stir in melted butter, vanilla, egg, and egg white.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and next salt, stirring with a whisk or sturdy fork. Add coffee mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until moist. Carefully spread batter over the top of the baked pretzel crust, smoothing the top. Decorate the top of the brownie with whole pretzels, lightly pressing the pretzels into the brownie batter.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. To serve, cut wedges, like pie wedges.