Baked Potato Soup with Broccoli and Red Pepper is a delicious and fun soup that’s hearty enough to serve as dinner.
We appreciate you
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask. The comments can be easily found using the orange circle on the lower left, then Join the discussion!
It’s good to have an idea of what’s for dinner, and it should be something you can make in a flash. This soup fits the bill – really tasty, easy, healthy, low-calorie, and filled with veggies. Most of the ingredients for this soup can be kept around in the fridge for a little while without going bad, so it’s a great back-up item for your menu planning.
This Baked Potato Soup is creamy & thick. Baked potatoes and soup, I mean, doesn’t everybody love both of those things? And, you can top it with whatever you like – cheddar cheese, sour cream, chives, green onions, even a dollop of chili on top would be tasty.
Top this soup with your favorite baked potato toppings – cheddar cheese, sour cream, shredded chicken, chives, etc…
Let’s keep in touch
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, & much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tried it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Baked Potato Soup with Broccoli and Red Pepper
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 red pepper seeded and chopped
- 5 ounces frozen chopped broccoli if the pieces are too big, chop them into smaller bite sized pieces
- 4 scallions white and green parts thinly sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream plus additional for garnish, if desired
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese optional
- Pierce the potatoes several times, and place on a microwave safe plate. Cook potatoes on high in microwave until tender when pierced with a fork, about 5 minutes (cooking time will vary depending on the size of the potatoes and the power of the microwave). Coarsely chop the potatoes into approx 1-inch chunks.
- Combine potatoes, red pepper, broccoli, scallions, and broth in large pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and mashing potatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.
- In a small bowl, stir together milk, 1/4 cup sour cream, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Stir milk mixture into soup. Taste for salt and pepper. Also, if the soup is too thick add additional broth or some water to thin it out.
- Spoon soup into bowls, dollop each with sour cream and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, if desired.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.