Cheesy tortellini topped with creamy pumpkin sauce with rich complex blue cheese, then all topped off with roasted sweet potatoes. Just says Autumn to my taste buds! I bring you, the fabulous Cheese Tortellini in Pumpkin Gorgonzola Sauce!
I love fall!
Fall. Autumn. Cooler weather. Heartier food. Sweater weather. Halloween decorating. These are the things that I’m thinking right now.
And Halloween decorating
I’m so excited to decorate for Halloween this year. It’s been many years since I’ve done any Halloween decorating. I use to go all out! We made tombstones and would put them in the front yard.
One year there were some tree trimmers that were chopping down a huge tree while I was out decorating. I asked them if I could have the branches and twigs. They were happy to provide them to me.
And, the tombstones had some eerie dead branches with dried crackly leaves. I have plastic spiders and flitty little ghosts. I have rubber rats and creepy dismembered plastic hands. I love Halloween. But, sadly, for the past few years my ghoulish collection has sat, unused up in the attic.
Not this year, my friends! All is right with the world, and I will be decorating! We are going all out, making, new tombstones, and a graveyard, and, and… well… maybe I’ll just have to post some pictures of this year’s decorations. All I can say is that I’m so happy and so excited! Halloween is and always has been My Favorite Holiday!
Another pumpkin recipe!
With that excited utterance about my favorite holiday, I give you some yummy Cheese Tortellini in Pumpkin Gorgonzola Sauce with Roasted Sweet Potatoes. Can one ever have enough pumpkin recipes at their disposal at this time of year? I say, you can never have too many pumpkin recipes, my friends!
This one’s fun and really easy. While the sweet potatoes roast, mix up the almost instant sauce, and cook up some tortellinis. And, voila! Dinner is served!
Cheese Tortellini in Pumpkin Gorgonzola Sauce with Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Cheese Tortellini in Pumpkin Gorgonzola Sauce with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato scrubbed clean, cut into pieces, about ½ to 1-inch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or light flavored oil of your choice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 20 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1 can 15 ounce pumpkin puree
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 can 12 ounce evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup 3 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- salt to taste
- fresh thyme leaves and additional pepper for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place the cubed sweet potatoes in a large cast iron skillet or on a baking sheet, and drizzle with oil, sprinkle with cumin, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast, turning occasionally, for 25-30 minutes, or until crisp and browned outside and tender inside.
- While sweet potato roasts, cook tortellini in a large pot according to package directions. Drain.
- In a separate large saucepan, mix pumpkin, broth, sage, thyme, and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir in evaporated milk and Gorgonzola cheese. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring frequently, until most of the cheese is melted. Taste for salt and pepper. If sauce is too thick, add a little water to thin it.
- Toss cooked tortellini with pumpkin sauce, and top with roasted sweet potatoes. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves, pepper, additional Gorgonzola, or grated Parmesan as desired.
Gorgonzola cheese can vary widely in its saltiness, so you’ll want to taste the sauce to see if you should add salt.