I’m very excited to share my first Choctoberfest recipe with you today. And, these Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons are a perfect tailgating snack! Every tailgate needs a little something sweet!
These are definitely one of my favorite cookies! I grew up loving coconut, partly because my mom loves the fruit! So I’ve always tried new and wonderful coconut treats. And, this one is just the best, fresh tasting sweet treat around! These get a nice crunchy toasted exterior with a chewy soft inside. And the little toasty coconut “arms” are so fun to break off and nibble!
And, when you dip them in chocolate, oh just divine I tell you!
Now, my husband will say that he prefers these Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons without chocolate. But, I don’t think he really likes chocolate all that much to begin with. Maybe it’s a guy thing? But, either way, chocolate dipped or not, these cookies are da bomb!
If you like what you see, please click the yum button: Yum
- 14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup egg whites from about 8 large eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly while scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent scorching, until the mixture is fairly dry and stiff, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Using 2 tablespoon ice-cream scoop, scoop up level portions of the mixture and place them about 1 inch apart on the lined baking sheets.
- Bake in the 350 degree oven until the macaroons are golden brown, about 20 minutes, rotating trays halfway through baking.
- Remove the baking sheets to a wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes, then peel the macaroons from the parchment or baking mat, place them directly on the rack, and let cool completely.
- Place chopped chocolate in a small bowl, and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each time, until chocolate is smooth and melted. Dip half of each cookie into the melted chocolate, hold it briefly over the bowl to catch any drips, and place the dipped cookie on a tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Repeat with remaining cookies. Transfer the cookie sheet with the dipped cookies to the refrigerator, and chill the cookies until the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes. Remove the cookies from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature before serving.
- The macaroons may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Adapted from Afternoon Delights Coffeehouse Favorites: Cookies, Coffee Cake, Brownies, Bars, Scones and More