I love this pretty celebration Fragrant Jasmine Rice Cake with its fragrant cardamom and lime scented rice pudding insides all crowned with billowy lime whipped cream and fresh berries.
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask.
Gluten free cake
I also used some pretty lemon thyme springs on my cake. This one takes the cake! hee hee. I also love that this is gluten-free cake. It’ll be great for a birthday party celebration for people who don’t care for cake or eat gluten-free.
We also ate the leftover Cake for breakfast a couple of days. I think it was great for breakfast! Nice rice and berries with some dairy. Perfect!
When you make the parchment paper liner, make it a bit taller than the pan in case the filling is a little more than the pan.
Also, I suggest that you place the pan on a rimmed baking sheet before putting it in the oven, this will catch any spills that might happen. I used a springform pan, and it leaked on me, so I was really happy to have the rimmed baking sheet to save me.
I think next time I make it I’d like to put the crushed cardamom pods in a cheesecloth bag or tea strainer so that I don’t have to pick the husks out. Also, I think it would be delicious with coconut whipped cream, I might try that next time as well.
If you haven’t tried making coconut whipped cream yet, it’s really easy and really good. Take a look here for my instructions.
Take a look below for more pictures on the cake in progress.
Let’s keep in touch
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right, or with push notifications using the red bell.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much, much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Fragrant Jasmine Rice Cake Recipe
Fragrant Jasmine Rice Cake
- 1 ¼ cups Jasmine rice
- 4 ½ cups milk
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 6 cardamom pods crushed open
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 6 eggs separated
Whipped cream topping
- 1 ¼ cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Fresh berries herbs, and additional lime zest to decorate, as desired
- Butter a deep 10-inch round cake pan or springform pan. Line the sides and bottom of the pan with parchment paper, and butter the parchment paper as well.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the rice, and boil for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Return the rice to the pan with the milk, sugar, cardamom, and lime zest. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Let the mixture cool (it’ll still be fairly liquidy). Remove the cardamom husks, and pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl. Mix in the cream and egg yolks.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Whisk the egg whites with a hand mixer or stand mixer until they hold soft peaks. Fold the beaten egg whites into the rice mixture. Place the prepared pan on a rimmed baking sheet, and gently spoon the rice mixture into the prepared pan. Place the filled pan on the rimmed baking sheet in the preheated oven, and bake for 40-50 minutes, until puffy and golden brown (the center should still be slightly jiggly, as it will continue to cook and firm up as it cools.
- Allow the rice cake to cool in the pan on the counter. Once completely cooled, refrigerate the rice cake in the pan overnight.
- Carefully remove the rice cake form the pan, and remove the parchment paper. Turn the cake out onto a large serving plate.
- Pour the cream into a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, and add the vanilla extract, lime zest, and sugar. Whisk the cream mixture with a hand mixer or stand mixer until it holds soft peaks. Cover the top and sides of the cake with the whipped cream, and garnish with fresh berries, herbs, and lime zest as desired.