Avocado Lime Ice Cream – Rich creamy avocados lend themselves to a this custard-based ice cream that’s pretty simple to make.
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask. The comments can be easily found using the orange circle on the lower left, then Join the discussion!
Custard Based Ice Cream
This Avocado Lime Ice Cream starts off with an easy custard based, and then the delicious mashed avocados are mixed in.
The tart limes add a nice offsetting flavor to the creamy avocados. And, you get a really fun and delicious adventurous ice cream flavor.
The ice cream is so thick and rich that it only takes my ice cream machine about 5 minutes to mix it, where most ice creams take about 20 in my machine.
If you love avocados like I do, this is a really fun and yummy treat! And, it’s a great way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, or to finish off taco Tuesdays with a fun dessert.
More great ice cream recipes
Is Avocado Ice Cream healthy?
It is still a treat. It has heavy cream and sugar in it. So, there are calories and fats. But, the avocados have the good kinds of fats, so this isn’t the worst thing you could eat.
Does avocado Ice Cream turn brown?
I did notice a slight color change, but really minimal. Keep it tightly covered, and keep it in the freezer, and it should be just fine. Also, the acidity in the lime juice will help keep it from turning brown.
What does avocado ice cream taste like?
This seems to be the biggest question out there about it.
Avocados are light and creamy. So they are great in an ice cream. The lime gives it some tang. Overall it’s a delicious creamy nice ice cream. But ultimately, you have to taste it for yourself and let me know what you think!
Is Avocado Ice Cream good?
Yes! Do you like avocados? Do you like ice cream? Then, you will like the creamy yummy flavors of Avocado Lime Ice Cream!
And, really, avocado is a fruit, and a fruit ice cream is really common and everyone likes then, right?
Other Homemade Ice Cream you’ll love
Click on the photo to get to the recipe
Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Vegan Chocolate Pecan Ice Cream Recipe
Apple Pie Ice Cream
Let’s keep in touch
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Avocado Lime Ice Cream Recipe
Avocado Lime Ice Cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe avocados
- zest of 2 limes
- juice of 1 lime
- Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the cream, sugar, and salt over medium-high heat, stirring regularly, until the sugar dissolves and the cream starts to come to a simmer (scalding).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and slowly pour the egg yolks into the scalded cream, stirring constantly as you pour them in. Allow the mixture to cool completely in the saucepan, stirring occasionally, add the vanilla, and chill the custard in the fridge.
- Peel and remove the pits of the avocados. In a small bowl, mash the avocados until they are smooth and creamy. Mix the mashed avocado into the chilled custard, and add the lime zest and lime juice. Taste the ice cream mixture for sweetness, and add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter ice cream, as the sweetness will dull a bit when the custard is frozen.
- Pour the custard mixture into the bowl of your ice cream machine, and process according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Serve the Avocado Lime Ice Cream garnished with lime slices or additional lime zest.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.