Apple Pie Ice Cream — have your apple pie and your a la mode all in one delicious frozen treat that’s as classic and American as Apple Pie!
This post contains affiliate links, which if you buy something I earn a little money, and it won’t cost you any extra.
Fall means apples and pies and all things pumpkin to me. Fall is sweaters and boots and cozy blankets. At least that’s what I want fall to be, but to be quite honest, most of the time fall is hot hot hot where I live. It’s windy. It’s sunny. And I can’t even wear a sweater over my Halloween costume if I wanted to.
So, I have to be creative with my fall recipes. Thus, I like to turn stuff into ice cream!
This Apple Pie Ice Cream is spiced just right, a little cinnamon a nice amount of apples. And, it’s super easy to make. The trick is using applesauce in the mix. I mean, it’s already smashed apples, right!
I like a (affiliate link) smooth no sugar added applesauce for this ice cream. But use whatever kind you like, whatever’s in your fridge right now. If you use a sweetened one, you may need to decrease the amount of sugar in the mixture. You could also use homemade applesauce if you like (I have a homemade applesauce recipe for you here).
And the graham crackers that I topped the ice cream with are my stand-in for pie crust. You can skip them if you want, but they are really fun!
Apple Pie Ice Cream Recipe
If you like what you see, click the yum button: Yum
Or, add to a Flipboard magazine Add to Flipboard Magazine.
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 3 ½ cups half and half
- 1 1/3 cups apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- crushed graham crackers
- additional cinnamon and whipped cream for garnish
- Combine brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt in a medium pan. Add the half and half, and stir over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat, and allow the mixture to cool. Stir in the applesauce, lemon juice, and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the cold apple mixture well, then freeze in your ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. When finished, the ice cream will be soft, like soft serve. For firmer ice cream, freezer at least 2 hours.
- To serve, scoop ice cream and top with crushed graham crackers, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a bit of whipped cream.
Makes about ½ gallon.