Lemon Glazed Sugar Muffins
A tangy sweet lemon glaze tops a nice dense and not too sweet vanilla cake muffin. You will love these Lemon Glazed Sugar Muffins. This post contains Amazon affiliate links, which if you buy something, will help support this blog, but won’t cost you any extra. Thanks!
I’ve been attempting to make a plant-based eggnog for my husband; he likes the flavor of eggnog but isn’t a fan of raw eggs. When it occurred to me that they sell eggnog extract or flavorings. Since my grocery store didn’t carry it, or I’m too late after the season, I went to King Arthur online to buy some.
When my order arrived (I might have purchased some fun baking stuff for me along with my eggnog flavoring), it came with a recipe card for Doughnut Muffins. I knew my husband would love these.
So, I went about making a couple of changes to them, and created these Lemon Glazed Sugar Muffins. This is a great plain muffin for people who don’t want a lot of stuff in their muffins. With its basic vanilla sugar flavor, it’s reminiscent of a nice plain doughnut. Then, I topped it with a simple lemon glaze. You could add some nuts or dried fruits to the basic muffin if you prefer stuff in your muffins. Mmmm, chocolate chips might be yummy inside. And maybe some candied lemon peel chopped up and mixed in.
Super yum! I’ve really enjoyed these Lemon Glazed Sugar Muffins for afternoon snack or breakfast. Your family will love them too.
Lemon Glazed Sugar Muffins Recipe:
Lemon Glazed Sugar Muffins
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup light tasting oil like pure olive oil or grapeseed oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice plus more as desired
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line the tins with 12 muffin cups, and spray the cups with non-stick vegetable spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix the butter, oil, and sugars together until smooth. Add the eggs, beating to combine.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla. Alternating, stir the flour and milk into the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour, and thoroughly combining the ingredients.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tins, filling the cups nearly full. Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they're pale golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, and let cool for a couple of minutes, or until you can handle them.
- While they're cooling, make the lemon glaze.
Lemon Glaze: In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and powdered sugar, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle or spoon the glaze on top of the muffins. Depending on how much glaze you like, you may have extra glaze leftover.
- Serve warm, or cool on a rack and wrap airtight. Store for a day or so at room temperature.