Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
Sweet creamy peanut butter surrounded by a soft chocolate cookie. There’s a little surprise to them that’s really fun! These Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookies are perfect for any cookie exchange or potluck. And anyone who loves peanut butter cups will adore these soft surprise cookies.
I guess I’m on a big cookie fix (I have a few cookie recipes lined up and ready to share). Maybe I need comfort food. Maybe I need something that’s just sweet and kind. Whatever the reason, these have been a favorite cookie for many years, so I thought I’d share them with you. I first saw them in an issue of Better Homes & Gardens about 10 years ago. I’ve made them many times since then. They are super impressive, and really not difficult at all.
Notes about the recipe:
I find it easiest to get 32 balls out of the dough by cutting the dough in half (each piece is 16), then in half again (each piece is 8) and in half again (for 4 pieces), and twice more for 1 piece each. Do the same thing with the peanut butter mixture to get 32 pieces.
The dough and the peanut butter mixture are very thick, and will most likely need to be mixed by hand. You may wish to start the mixing with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer.
Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookies Recipe:
If you like what you see, click the yum button: Yum
Or, add to a Flipboard magazine Add to Flipboard Magazine.
Sweet creamy peanut butter surrounded by a soft chocolate cookie. There's a little surprise to them that's really fun!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup sifted powdered sugar
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, the ½ cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and the ¼ cup peanut butter with an electric mixer until combined. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Beat in as much of the dry ingredients as you can with mixer (as the mixture will be very thick). Stir in remaining dry ingredients by hand. Form chocolate dough into 32 balls about 1 ¼ inches in diameter. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar and remaining ½ cup peanut butter until smooth. Shape into 32 (¾-inch) balls.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Slightly flatten a chocolate dough ball with the palm of your hand, and top with a peanut butter ball. Shape the chocolate dough over the peanut butter filling, completely covering the filling. Roll dough into a ball. Repeat with the remaining chocolate dough and peanut butter filling.
- Place dough balls 2-inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets or cookie sheets lined with Silpats. Flatten dough balls with the bottom of glass dipped in remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- Bake cookies in a 350° F oven for 8 minutes or until the cookies are just set and surface is slightly cracked. Let cookies stand for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Check out some of my other cookie recipes (click on the image to get to the recipe):