Sausage, Broccoli, and Roasted Lentils
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to some products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support this blog at no additional cost to you and allows me to continue bringing you delicious recipes and great information. For more information see here.
If you’d rather skip my helpful tips, tricks, essential cooking information, and delicious similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card. It’s right there with a pretty bright yellow background.
If you have any questions about how to make this recipe, or if you try it, please come back and leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
This Sausage, Broccoli, and Roasted Lentils dish makes a great dinner or lunch. And, it’s an awesome budget-friendly weeknight meal. While the lentils roast, you can help the kids with homework or clean up the kitchen. I give instructions for cooking the lentils from scratch, but you can also use canned lentils to save yourself some time.
I use vegetarian Kielbasa from Tofurky for this Sausage, Broccoli, and Roasted Lentils, but you can use chicken or pork/beef as you see fit. Veggie links are lower in fat and calories. Chicken are the next lowest. And, well, I grew up eating the good old-fashioned pork/beef Polska Kielbasa. I am, after all, Ukrainian!
I can remember walking past the Hickory Farms store in the mall and my mouth would start watering from that awesome smoked meaty smell that was wafting out. And, they always handed out samples! Oh, divine. We would get one of their Kielbasa sausages, take it home, cut it up, and cook it in the microwave. That was one of the first things I learned how to cook in the microwave. I think that, back then, the microwave was used more for cooking than it is now; at least I don’t use the microwave to cook things as much anymore.
Flash forward many years, and I don’t eat the meaty Kielbasa anymore. But, for me, these vegan ones are great! I love them. The roasted lentils give a nice spicy smoky crunch to the dish. The smoky roasted broccoli helps lighten it up, while the sausages are meaty and yummy. If you want the dish to be vegan, just leave the Parmesan off the top.
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right, or with push notifications using the red bell.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much, much more:
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
Sausage, Broccoli, and Roasted Lentils Recipe
Sausage, Broccoli, and Roasted Lentils
- 1 ½ cups dried brown lentils
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or your choice of oil, divided use
- 1 teaspoon chipotle paste
- 1 bunch broccoli cut into 1-inch pieces (3 cups)
- 1 14 ounce package fully cooked Kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 small onion coarsely chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth homemade preferred
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Crushed red pepper optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Examine, sort, and rinse dried lentils to make sure there are only lentils in your dish. In a large pot add lentils and enough hot water to generously cover the lentils. Cover and cook lentils about 20-25 minutes or until al dente. Drain.
- Combine cooked lentils with 1 tablespoon oil and chipotle paste, and place in a large cast iron skillet. Roast at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Carefully remove skillet from oven and add broccoli. Return lentils and broccoli to the oven and roast an additional 10 minutes, or until lentils are lightly crisp. Set roasted lentils and broccoli aside.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook, until onion starts to brown and caramelize, about 15 minutes. Add sausage to onion, and stir occasionally, until sausage is browned, about 3 minutes. Add lentil mixture, broth, salt, pepper, thyme and oregano leaves. Heat through.
- Divide among serving bowls. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle with crushed red pepper, if desired.