White Bean – Potato Tacos
These White Bean – Potato Tacos are super yummy, with a hint of smoky chipotle. The sauce is well-rounded with sweet and tangy white onions, tomato paste, and a little sugar. And, they have that creaminess that potatoes and white beans give. Just all around a perfect taco filling!
These are the best White Bean and Potato Tacos you’ve ever had! What? You’ve never had white bean and potato tacos before? Well, you’re in for a treat. These tacos are super yummy, with a hint of smoky chipotle from the chipotle paste. The sauce is well-rounded with sweet and tangy white onions, tomato paste, and a little sugar. And, they have that creaminess that potatoes and white beans give. Just all around a perfect taco filling!
The filling is great as leftovers as well. I even made a taco bowl out of the leftovers with lots of cabbage, rice, salsa, cheese, and corn and sent the taco bowl to work with my husband for lunch. It was a huge hit!
And, you can top the whole thing off with whatever you choose. I highly recommend going with a chipotle salsa here, just to reinforce that chipotle smokiness; you can make your own, like my Tomato-Chipotle Salsa, or buy some like Frontera or Casa Martinez (that was on sale at my grocery store recently & is pretty delicious).
If you want to make this even faster for a weeknight meal, just pierce the potato a couple of times with a fork or sharp knife and microwave it for 5-7 minutes, depending on the size of the potato and your microwave’s power, until the potato is tender all the way through when pierced with a fork. If you cook the potato in the microwave, just use water or vegetable broth in place of the cooking liquid in the recipe.
White Bean – Potato Tacos Recipe
White Bean - Potato Tacos
- 1 medium russet potato cut into ¼ - ½-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or light tasting oil of your choice
- ½ white onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 - 1 ½ tablespoons chipotle paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 can 15 ounce white beans, drained and rinsed
To make tacos
- thinly sliced cabbage
- Chipotle salsa
- crumbled queso fresco
- chopped cilantro
- avocado cut into slices
- sour cream
- Place potato cubes in a small saucepan, and cover with water. Place saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes. Drain potato, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.
- While potato boils, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion until golden brown and beginning to caramelize, about 15-20 minutes. Add salt, and pepper, 3/4 cup reserved cooking liquid, tomato paste, chipotle paste, and sugar; add white beans and cooked potato. Cook, stirring, until bubbling, about 2 minutes. Stir in more reserved cooking liquid, if needed to make it saucy.
- Heat tortillas in a dry skillet until toasted and browned. Set tortillas on plates. Top with white bean potato filling. Garnish with cabbage, salsa, queso fresco, cilantro, and avocado. Drizzle with sour cream.
Chipotle Paste recipe found here: https://lifecurrentsblog.com/chipotle-paste/
A note on nutrition analysis: Without any tortillas or garnishes, this filling comes out to 164 calories, 2 grams of fat, 8 grams protein, and 31 grams carbs per serving based on four servings per recipe. The addition or subtraction of various garnishes and tortillas will change the counts.
Adapted from My Recipes