This Slow Cooker Pesto Potato Soup with Meatballs is a hearty comforting soup that’s made in the slow cooker or crock pot.
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask. The comments can be easily found using the orange circle on the lower left, then Join the discussion!
Time saving tips for this soup
In a hurry? Use store-bought pesto rather than making your own. I’ve had some really good ones lately.
Use your favorite meatballs in this slow cooker soup
As for the meatballs, use your favorites! I love Trader Joe’s meatless meatballs. In fact, my whole family loves them. Most of them like the meatless ones better than the meaty ones.
But, if you prefer, use your favorite – beef, pork, turkey, chicken, or homemade. Anything will work here.
How to toast pine nuts
To toast pine nuts: Spread pine nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 375° F, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Or, place the pine nuts in a dry heavy skillet, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until golden, about 3 minutes.
Serving suggestion for this Pesto Potato Soup
Serve this soup with Skillet buttermilk biscuits and a nice green salad with Mom’s Salad Dressing for a lovely meal!
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, & much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tried it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Slow Cooker Pesto Potato Soup with Meatballs Recipe
Slow Cooker Pesto Potato Soup with Meatballs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ pounds potatoes peeled and diced
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Meatballs (use homemade or store-bought frozen meatballs)
- ¼ cup pine nuts toasted
Make the pesto:
- Combine the garlic and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the basil, salt, and pepper to taste and process until ground into a paste. With the food processor running, drizzle the olive oil through the feed tube, processing until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to serve the soup.
Make the soup:
- Place the oil and garlic in a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker, cover, and cook on low while you clean and dice the potatoes, garlic should be fragrant when ready. Add the prepared potatoes and broth and season with salt. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- When the potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork, use an immersion blender to puree the soup right in the slow cooker. Or, puree soup in batches in a blender, returning the soup to the slow cooker to keep warm.
- 15 minutes before you are going to serve the soup, add the desired amount of meatballs, about 3-5 meatballs per serving, to the slow cooker. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Ladle the soup into bowls being sure to get the desired number of meatballs per serving, top the meatballs with a spoonful of pesto, and garnish with a sprinkling of pine nuts.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.
Join my mailing list to receive the latest recipes FREE to your inbox!