Medjool dates stuffed with Mascarpone, an almond, and garnished with freshly ground nutmeg. A healthy sweet treat!
I made these beautiful and easy Stuffed Dates for Christmas breakfast. I wanted something to nibble on as a lightly sweet but natural treat. These were perfect.
Dates are the darlings of the food world right now. And, it’s a well deserved honor; dates are sweet without any processed sugars. They are an all-natural fruit, sodium-free, fat-free, cholesterol-free, a good source of soluble and insoluble fiber; they’re also an excellent source of iron.
There are so many ways to make these stuffed dates. Make them sweet or savory. They make a great breakfast that you can eat on the go. Or, they make an excellent afternoon snack; they help satisfy a sweet craving in a healthy way. And, they’re elegant enough to serve as appetizers at a party.
I highly recommend using fresh dates with pits in them for these nibbles. I’ve found that pitted dates are often dry and not as soft or pliable. Cut through the date to the pit, and gently open the date to expose the pit. Remove the pit with your fingers; they come out very easily. The pits can now be composted or thrown away.
First, decide what you want to stuff your dates with. Use about a teaspoon of filling. Here are some ideas:
- Mascarpone cheese mixed with pure maple syrup or honey for a sweet treat
- Mascarpone mixed with blue cheese for something a little more savory
- Cream cheese
- Goat cheese or herbed goat cheese
- Soft tofu mixed with maple syrup or honey
- Soft tofu with herbs like green onions, parsley, thyme, and/or basil
- Peanut butter, almond butter, or any nut butter
- almond paste or marzipan
- Try a small piece of hard cheese like Parmesan, Asiago, or aged Cheddar
How about adding a topper:
- Any nut, like almonds, pistachios, or walnuts
- Candied nuts, like pecans or walnuts would add a lovely sweet touch
- Chopped pieces of veggies would add color and texture. Try red pepper, onion, or cucumbers
Next, the finishing garnish:
- Citrus zest
- Freshly ground spice, like pepper or nutmeg
- A sprinkle of sea salt
- Drizzle of maple syrup or honey
- A sprinkle of powdered sugar
- Finely chopped herbs
You get the idea; these Stuffed Dates are super flexible are really yummy. Go for it, make some for your next party gathering, or just for a simple snack. Enjoy!