Copycat Marie Callender‘s Potato Cheese Soup. Smooth and creamy, full of cheesy flavor. This easy to make soup is one of my favorites. And you don’t have to go out to eat it!
We appreciate your support
This post may contain affiliate links. Life Currents participates in different affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information see here.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this recipe. I read all the comments myself and I try to help as soon as I can. I have readers from all levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen on my site, and I’ve tried to answer some of your questions already in the post. But if I’ve missed anything, please feel free to leave a comment and ask.
Marie Callendar’s potato cheese soup
When I was younger we used to go to Marie Callendar’s for dinner quite often. I loved to order the steamed veggies smothered in cheese and served with a side of Alfredo Sauce.
Of course, I always ordered a cup of their yummy potato cheese soup to start. Wow! It’s no wonder my cholesterol was way high at one point in my life!
I still love that soup, and wanted to recreate it at home.
This comes pretty darn close, but to be honest, I actually think this one is a bit better than MC’s. I mean, you add some smoked paprika to just about anything and it’ll be super mouth-wateringly yummy!
I like to use homemade broth for my soups, and, this one’s my favorite recipe!
You can use half extra sharp Cheddar, and half aged white Cheddar for this soup. I like the additional flavor that it gives to use both cheeses. If you can’t find aged white Cheddar or don’t want to buy two kinds of cheese, just use all extra sharp Cheddar, it’ll still be delish!
Now, this soup isn’t super low-calorie, with all that cheese, how could it be.
Soup for dinner
But, it is really yummy, and as an occasional treat, I don’t mind eating something this good. Especially when it’s chilly and wintry outside, this soup is warm and comforting!
Serve it with a nice big salad that’s filled with veggies and you’ll be good to go. Take a look here for some great salad ideas!
Let’s keep in touch
If you like seeing my recipes subscribe via email in the upper right, or with push notifications using the red bell.
Or, connect with me on your favorite social media channel for recipes, photos, and much, much more:
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter!
And find my shop on Amazon for recommendations on cool tools
If you try this recipe,
please come back & leave a comment below letting us know how it goes.
Share a picture & tag @lifecurrents on Instagram.
Or you can upload a “tired it” photo (I would love to see)
via the pin.
Potato Cheese Soup Recipe
Potato Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or light tasting oil of your choice
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds russet potatoes peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth homemade preferred
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded aged white Cheddar
- 2 cups shredded extra sharp Cheddar
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Minced scallions for garnish
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until onion has released its water and begins to brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1–2 minutes. Add potatoes and paprika; cook, stirring to coat potatoes, 1 minute. Stir in broth and Worcestershire. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, partially covered, until potatoes are soft, 10–15 minutes. Coarsely mash potatoes with the back of a wooden spoon, and stir in cheese and milk until cheese is melted, 2 minutes. Remove soup from heat; season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with scallions.