This Bourbon Fig & Apple Sauce with all its warm fall spices, is the perfect addition to breakfast. It’s a high-fiber treat that’s delicious over yogurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal, pancakes, or granola. The sauce is also great with dessert, as a fruity kick to ice cream or cake. Serve it warm or cold, it’s great either way.
And, don’t worry, the alcohol is cooked off, it just flavors the sauce.
Bourbon Fig & Apple Sauce over vanilla yogurt is a great way to start the day
I really like making the sauce ahead of time, because the flavors mingle as it sits. It’s at its best after 2 days in the fridge.
Use your favorite kind of apple, for me, that’s a Granny Smith. I love the tartness of them. They also have less sugar than other kinds of apples. My husband, however, totally disagrees with me on the choice of apples. He would much prefer a sweet red one like Braeburn or Honeycrisp. And, the type of dried fig is also up for whatever you like, or your local store carries.
The apple can be grated by hand on the large holes of a box grater, or in a food processor using a grating attachment.
Bourbon Fig & Apple Sauce over vanilla yogurt for breakfast! It’s a great start to the day.
Bourbon Fig & Apple Sauce Recipe
Bourbon Fig & Apple Sauce
- 10 Dried Figs stems removed and fig cut in half
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 small apple unpeeled, coarsely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients except vanilla. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Serve warm, or store in a tightly covered container in the fridge to let the flavors get to know each other.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations, and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary based on brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.
Join my mailing list to receive the latest recipes FREE to your inbox!
That looks like an amazing topping for ice cream! Great Fall recipe!
Sounds so good! I need to try it!
Perfect way to start your day! Love figs!
My mom loves Fig Apple Sauce, I’m going to make this for her asap!
This sounds delicious! I love fall and all the great flavors that come with it!