I’m always looking for new breakfast ideas. So, when I saw these great looking Baked Breakfast Taquitos I put them on the menu right away.
They are awesome! I’d love to serve these for a fun breakfast finger food day, like maybe a special New Year’s morning party, or maybe a special birthday breakfast.
Serve them with your choice of garnish (like guacamole, sour cream, salsa, or avocado chunks), but they were excellent plain. Nice and moist inside while being crispy and crunchy outside. Just Lovely!
Since they make four servings we had leftovers for the next day. I ate my leftovers at room temperature, and they were great. Dan heated his up in the microwave, and he loved them. They did lose their crunchiness as leftovers, but that didn’t really bother me. The convenience of having breakfast already made was well worth the trade-off. The other option, if you wanted to make them the day before, you could make the filling, roll the taquitos and place the whole pan in the fridge. Saving baking them for the next day.
I made these taquitos vegetarian using soy crumbles. TVP would work as well. Or, even a couple of crumbled up vegetarian sausage patties. Or, if you prefer a meaty sausage patty, that would work as well. Your choice.
Breakfast Taquitos Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for brushing
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 12 ounces soy crumbles
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- 8 6- inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly oil a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook until onion starts to soften and brown, about 15 minutes. If onion starts to burn, add a small amount of water to the pan. Add chopped peppers and cook for another minute. Add soy crumbles and cook for another 5 minutes, until crumbles are defrosted. Season with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs together, then pour over the onion mixture, and cook until eggs are scrambled. Remove egg mixture from heat.
- Lay a tortilla flat on your work surface, and top with 1/8 of the eggs mixture then top with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Tightly roll up the tortilla and place it in the prepared baking dish. Lightly brush taquito with oil. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until tortillas are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve garnished with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, or green onions, as desired.