I love mac & cheese. But, I don’t eat it very often because of all the calories & saturated fats. But, this Butternut Squash “Mac” & Cheese is awesome! With all that butternut squash, you can cut back on the cheese without losing flavor or creaminess. All the pleasures of mac & cheese with no guilt!
I like the added texture of the whole wheat pasta to this dish. And, the husband approved, not only of the yummy dish, but the use of whole wheat pasta (he normally shys away from the whole wheat ones saying they are too dense & not tasty)! This could easily be made gluten-free as well by using gluten-free pasta.
The butternut squash has a lovely earthy flavor, and the green veggies help to round out the dish. I love it! Comfort food at its finest, healthy and yummy!
Butternut Squash “Mac” & Cheese Recipe
Butternut Squash “Mac” & Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Wash the outside of the butternut squash. With a sharp knife, carefully poke several holes all over the squash. Place squash on microwave safe place lined with paper towels, and microwave 5-8 minutes, until the squash is soft enough to easily cut through. This will depend on the size of your squash and the power of your microwave.
- Half and seed the butternut squash. Cut squash into wedges.
- Roast the wedges in a large cast iron skillet or baking dish that has been lightly oiled for 30-40 minutes or until squash is easily peeled and starting to brown. Remove squash from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions, adding the vegetable bouillon to the water if desired. In the last minute of pasta cooking, add the frozen peas to the pot. Reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid, drain and transfer pasta back to pot and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, steam the broccoli in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Scoop the flesh of the squash into a food processor and add the cream cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, and ½ cup of reserved cooking liquid. Puree until everything is nice and uniform, adding additional reserved cooking liquid if necessary to get a thick creamy sauce.
- Pour sauce over the pasta and toss in the steamed broccoli. Enjoy!